Hi there,

I'm new here. I've been suffering from OCD symptoms (never been officially diagnosed) for about 15-20 years. Most of those years, I just thought my thoughts were weird and while they bothered me, the obsessions would only last a few weeks. Then I would enjoy quite a bit of OCD-free time

The ocd would rear it's ugly head every now and then but would mostly not be too of a bother. That all changed about 5 years ago. The OCD got worse and my obsession themes went from germs/cleaning and lock checking to the dreaded harm thoughts.

I still have managed to have some low-ocd time but things got worse about 2 months ago and have progressively gone down the hill from there. Finally, on Monday, I decided to go back on medicine (only been on meds once before).

So now I wait for the meds to kick in. Ugh, OCD.

Guest Sisyphus

Hi Canuck,

My OCD started off like yours, the occasional episode that could last weeks but then free in between. And I just thought I was weird too. After a long time I was self-diagnosed. Never felt the need to be diagnosed as such as it matched so well, though I get the old predictable doubts about it sometimes. Not often now actually.

I hope the meds are effective. Did you read any good OCD books or do therapy already?

Oh and be warned - sometimes posts in this "introduce yourself" forum don't get as big a response as those in the main OCD forum.

All the best,

David.

Guest Sisyphus

I read Brain Lock too. I found it extremely interesting and educational but I must say I failed horribly to even commence the therapy. That said I've tried slowly to try and implement elements of that therapy and other stuff I've read here and elsewhere into my own kind of messy freestyle therapy. I don't think it's gonna sell any books, but I've had some limited successes with it. I had some great days recently actually, by my standards anyway. So I live in hope.

For me though, it's not a 5, 10 or 15 minute deal, it's either doing the compulsion or not, end of story. That's just how it goes for me. I've never been very good with compromises when it comes to things like that. Got to be all or nothing. Probably a hinderance to my recovery.