It feels like OCD, but...

Guest heartplace

Guest heartplace

I just don't see how it can be OCD because it feels too real.

My latest obsession seems to be whether or not I've been emotionally abusing my sister, but she's my best friend. I have the hypothetical questions running through my mind about whether or not I have, and everything feels real. Every time I get a major doubt like this, I don't understand how it could possibly be OCD causing this, that chances are I really did do something I normally don't do. :(

If OCD didn't feel real no-one would have a problem, would they? It would be easy just to shun it off.

OCD always feels real, hence the problem it provokes. The trick is accepting that, taking it full square on the chin and resisting the urge to delve deeper and work it out.

Caramoole :)

Guest heartplace

Basically I've been feeling jealous. As in...it's like she's got it made compared to me. She doesn't have OCD, she doesn't have depression, she's good at things I'm not, etc...I've been wondering if I'm trying to bring her down to my level, and I feel like my level is pretty low.

It's really stupid when I type this out, because I'm good at things she's not. She's into drawing and music, I'm into photography and writing. We're both pretty creative, just in different ways. But occasionally it's like...I get envious of her abilities I guess. And it's triggering my obsession about whether or not I've been trying to put her down.

Edited by heartplace
Guest Gale1982

Not that I think you don't. Just wondered if you might like to chat about photography. Spent four hours in the dark tonight trying to photograph hedgehogs, harder than you might think...

Edited by Gale1982
Guest heartplace

Yeh, again.....Its your job as a sister. Are you older?

Cant really top Caramoole's advise :)

Do you know what 35mm f-1.8 means?

Yeah, I'm older than her by 3 1/2 years. We weren't really best friends until maybe...almost 10 years ago, lol. She often got on my nerves but now we're really close.

The obsession is causing me to feel like I'm walking on eggshells...like I can't hardly say anything to her without wondering if I'm meaning to demean her.

Are you referring to Nikon? Had a feeling I knew the 38mm part meant but not f-1.8. Lol I'm a Canon kind of person.

Guest Gale1982

Nikon through and through!!! Haha

Met my sister today for the first time in 10 years. It was tough. had to walk on a whole lot of egg shells.

f1.8 is the aperture or "speed", its awesome.

Guest heartplace

There will always be sibling rivalry, competition, comparison...that's normal.

Then there's obsession, excessive rumination.

Is it worth entering that debate knowing what you know as an OCD sufferer? :no:

Makes sense...when I was younger and didn't know I had anxiety problems, I had bad anger issues and little patience with her for unexplainable reasons. My ex-therapist told me earlier this year that back then I was bullying her, which sent me into a panic and triggered me really badly and I still haven't fully recovered. Now if I so much as get angry with her I feel like I'm going to an extreme, that I should just not communicate my feelings hardly at all now or else I'll end up becoming emotionally abusive. Does that make sense?

Edited by heartplace