OCD and the pill! (contraception) experience please, is it making OCD worse?

Hi, I have been on the pill (marvelon, contraception) since I was 15, 9 years! I have had OCD as long as I can remember. I can be moody over little things, I dont think I show people I love them enough either. I find it hard to tell my family I love them and I dont give hugs or anything.

Recently I've become angry over tiny things I take my anger out alone not in front of people but silently or away in my room (nothing bad just swearing and crying and stuff.) My OCD gets worse when I am on or around my period.

Ive heard the pill can mess with your hormones and make people angry and act crazy. I dont know what im like off the pill as I cant remember plus I was a teenager anyway. Could the pill be making my OCD worse? Could I be a nicer person if pill free?

Anyone had any experience or know anything?

Thanks in advance xx

Hi Boogie!

I have made a few posts about this in the past - around my time of the month it definitely makes OCD worse during that time. From my experience i have never thought the pill to cause any problems, it is just because of the time of month it is, the pill helps settle your cycle down which has got to be a good thing.

My OCD always without fail flares up slightly during my time of the month, always!!! It begins in the week before i am due, so not even like a few days before! I am going through it now and it is a pain in the ass! I have been on the pill for about 7 or 8 years too and i have never had any problems.

I would say if you came off the pill it may mess up your cycle for a while which may make it harder in the short run, as far as being pill free in the long run and whether that helps i am not sure.

Take care x

I've taken the pill for quite a long time as well. I haven't noticed anything that I would say was definitely due to the pill. I have been both very ill and relatively well OCD wise whilst on the same dose of the pill, which suggests it's not having an effect. But then again there are a lot of factors that can affect OCD, for me it's difficult to tell which ones are relevant as there are so many different things!

Guest sophie13

You must be a very nice person. Your question is that if you could be a nicer person without the pill... Uff... the OCD grabbed you here. Let the thoughts go :-)

Thank you Sophie but I really dont think I am very nice, im moody most of the time and get angry and annoyed at tiny things like whistling, yawning, silly things. I dont show people I love them either, i do love them really but i just show annoyance and act as though i hate people, i dont know why i dont mean to. I dont say i love you or give hugs. Im worried it'll be too late, im wasting life, wasting time, focusing on stupid petty things and for unknown reason cant open up and just show my feelings or say i love you! I dont know why im so stupid!

Guest Rosiebella1

I came off the pill as it made my ocd a million times worse. I even tried a mixed hormone pill which duplicates a real cycle where the hormones change throughout the month but it still didn't work. Since being off it the ocd is so much better. I still get anxious when I am due on or if something happens to trigger it but generally I would strongly advise people AGAINST taking the pill when they have ocd. It messes with your hormones. I know for the sake of protection it might be a necessity but there are other things such as the coil which don't affect hormones so I say use that instead !!!

My OCD got a little worse when I first started taking the pill, but once I had been taking it for several months, the anxiety faded away and I was fine. The side effects usually last several months until your body adjusts. If you've been taking it for 9 years I doubt that is the reason!