The grounds of ocd

Guest messihead

You're still trying to figure things out, aren't you? A few days ago you wanted to know what kind of exposures you could do. It sounded like you were moving forward. Now you're back asking about the beginning. Has doubt crept into your head and kept you away from the journey to wellness?

Hey Messi, before I answer, I wanted to ask what in particular is leading you to ask these questions? I know you've been a member around here for awhile now, certainly you have a fair number of posts, so I just want to make sure this isn't about reassurance. Are you struggling with doubt that your problem is OCD and trying to confirm it?

Guest messihead

The doubt is terrible polar... constantly! I actually feel so so petrified it's unreal like scared to the bone. The thoughts just come all the time. I don't know if what I'm doing 8 correct or not on how to deal with them. I don't know what to do for the best! They come in saying I've cheated on my man that I can't remember doing so or can I and I choose not to or that I am blocking it or that I can and I'm in denial and that my baby isn't my man's. I don't know what to do! I do not know how to beat this!

And yes dksea ur right I am struggling with doubt it's ocd and I am trying to confirm it!

I feel shaking with fear I need help

You've been told numerous times what to do. It's not a quick fix. It will take time, months. Fear or not you have to keep doing it. Over and over. Sometimes you'll trip and feel like you're getting nowhere. That's normal. You just keep going on.

Guest nervous

People with OCD are always trying to confirm something, I think its one of our specialities. You say the thoughts keep coming and they will keep coming as long as you keep performing compulsions like ruminating and reassurance seeking. This morning I was feeling desperate about a thought I had and I couldn't see through it and I just accepted it as ocd and took that leap of faith, later in the day I know I made the right decision and I can clearly see it was ocd. you say how do I know its ocd? well how do you know its not?

Guest nervous

Hi messihead, I am sorry you going through a tough time now. When you have a thought that causes you to worry it is more about what you don't do that matters. Don't do compulsions. How do you know if you are doing compulsions? That's where others can help because sometimes we can't see it ourselves. If I understand the problem you are facing is you have a thought, then you think why did I have that thought? Then you think maybe it's ocd? Then you think maybe it's not? This is where you need to stop! What will usually happen is the person suffering will try to research any way they can to relieve themselves of the fear that it might be true and not ocd unfortunately this only makes their anxiety worse. But I think you already know this.

It is hard for sure but you have stop trying to figure out if it is ocd or real.

does that make sense?

Hey Messi, first I want you to know that you aren't alone. A lot of us experience these same doubts about OCD unfortunately.
The basic approach is to treat this doubt like you would any other OCD doubt.
Assume it IS because of OCD, even if you can't be sure, you have to take that leap of faith and say "Well its true it MIGHT not be OCD, but it probably is so I'm going to do it anyway".
Next, as Nervous says above, you have to do your best to avoid compulsions, which can include analyzing the worry and trying to "solve" it through logic and rumination (easy trap to fall into, I do it all the time).
Work on accepting that, for now at least, you aren't going to feel as good as you want to. Your going to have anxiety and doubt, but they will pass and as much as you think you can't move on until the doubt goes away and you feel "right" you have to do it anyway. Its not easy especially at first, but try your best and be patient with yourself.