Research participation invitation - An investigation into religiosity, spirituality and obsessive compulsive symptoms

Guest OCD-UK RSS

Guest OCD-UK RSS
newcastle_uni_0.jpg
Research by Ben Marram, Professor Mark Freeston and Dr. Patrick Rosenkranz.

An investigation into religiosity, spirituality and obsessive compulsive symptoms

The main purpose of this study is to further investigate whether there is a relationship between an individualâs personal experience of religion/spirituality, any anxiety provoking religious/spiritual thoughts they may have, and their obsessive compulsive symptoms.

One of the things that is believed to play a role in the development and maintenance of OCD is how people make sense of unwanted thoughts. Research suggests that people who engage in religious or spiritual practice and/or hold certain religious or spiritual beliefs may be more likely to make sense of thoughts in specific ways. Some may find that these thoughts are helpful, some may find them unhelpful and sometimes these thoughts become tangled with their religious or spiritual beliefs making it confusing to know what to do. It is therefore hoped that this research will help clinicians understand the relationships between unwanted thoughts and religion/spirituality and so help think about how this may be addressed in treatment.

WHAT WOULD I BE ASKED TO DO?
1. You will be asked to complete a set of questionnaires.
2. The questionnaires can be completed online.

WHO CAN TAKE PART IN THIS STUDY?
We are looking for adults (aged 18+) who experience or have experienced obsessive-compulsive symptoms, either with or without religious obsessional content. You do not have to be religious or spiritual to complete this research.

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?
In total, we would expect the research to take between 20 and 40 minutes although there is no time limit.

Does this study have ethical approval?
Yes, the study has full ethical approval from Newcastle University. It is unlikely that the questionnaires will cause distress for the participants. If you would like to see copies of the questionnaires, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

IS MY INFORMATION KEPT CONFIDENTIAL?
Yes! All the information that we get from this study will be confidential, anonymous and will only be used for research purposes. All the digital information will be stored electronically on a secure server at Newcastle University that will be protected with a password and only accessible to the research team.

HOW DO I TAKE PART IN THIS RESEARCH?
To take part in this study, simply click on the link below and follow the instructions.

http://nclpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_b2RGHQXTCRrwKPz

WHO CAN I CONTACT IF I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS?
Any questions about the research can be directed to Ben Marram who is the lead researcher on the email address: ocdstudy@newcastle.ac.uk

icon_word.gif
icon_pdf.gif
(Click an icon to open the full research description & contact details.)

Ethical Approval Reference: This study has been approved by Newcastle University ethics committee who have independently reviewed the quality and safety of this research. This is to protect your well-being and safety. Ethics reference number: 00727_1 (Amendment) /2014.

Tags:

View the article on the OCD-UK website

Hello there :D

I am curious about question Nº2... Is this study looking for sufferers with any OCD content (not just religion)?

As an OCD sufferer with religious ideas... I AM SO HAPPY TO KNOW THAT ABOUT THIS RESEARCH!!!! :clap: Opportunities to help like this doesn't exist here In Chile.

I can't participate because I live overseas...however I hope a lot of people can take part in this study!!!

Andrea :D