OCD and suicidal thoughts

Guest loribee

Guest loribee

Hi

Iv been on here a couple of times and have found things easier to cope with after the advice iv been given so I don't know if anyone can help me now?

My 16 year old son was diagosed with severe OCD and anxiety last year. Taking fluoxitine didn't help and just made things worse so now he is on sertraline but even though some days he seems fine,tonight we've discussed about how he worries about telling me things as he doesn't want to upset me especially how he feels like his mind is on overdrive all day,every day and he finds it hard to sleep as he can't switch off and he will always be like this and his depression/thinking will never change and he sometimes (quite often lately) feels like he's had enough and just doesn't want to wake up or wants to kill himself. He already self harms which I find hard to deal with but I try not to let it show and I'd rather he feel like he can tell me these things but I'm finding it harder to deal with and worry continuously about him. He is starting CBT next week but at the moment even I feel that nothing can be done and none of the meds have worked so far and neither will this? I don't know if anyone has experienced this or has any advice they can offer. I'm trying to remain hopeful but it's draining away very quickly.

Guest Madison

Hi I'm Madi, I'm a 15 and I've been suffering with ocd for 5 years now.

Some of your sons feelings sound quite familiar with how I feel, and I can totally relate that sometimes it can be hard to open up about how youre feeling. I have tried fluoxetine and sertraline and none of those worked for me either. I was in a adolescent phychiatric unit for 8 months and was discharged last month, and the consultant there recommended that I take an antiphycotic to help with the thoughts but I was too scared to take it as my intrusive thoughts said that taking it might make me not be able to see or hear things that are actually there, I understand this is one of my ocd thoughts but I couldn't bring myself to take them, but im wondering if they might help your son? One of the antiphycotics my consultant recommended was Quetiapine. I don't know if you've heard o it? Apparently it help people with ocd.

its good that he is starting CBT next week. The 'therapy' I had at the hospital wasn't very helpful at all, I didn't get much therapy, but it definatly wasn't helpful. It's good to make sure that the person who is doing the therapy actually understands about OCD. Is your son on any mdicationa t the moment? If it is not helping then I would say not to take it as one of the side affects is suicidal thoughts and if your son already self harm s and it doesn't help then I woulkd say stop taking it.

also if you think your son is a risk to himself please talk to his GP, but only if you have to, because the phychiatric unit didn't help at all and the people who worked there didn't really understand. A phychiatric unit is definitely not the right place for someone with OCD but then again it keeps you alive I suppose.

Anyway, please let me know how you and your son is getting on, hope the therapy helps :)

Madi xxx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Muppet07

I am a sufferer of OCD and have been for 2 years. I am doing cbt and it's is tremendous and I imagine your son will benefit from it. I also take sertraline and it takes a few weeks to work. There are many different medications and it's a case of not giving up as one will soon benefit. Hope all goes well with cbt xxx

Guest KiraE

I have the exact same case with my mum. I, too, am 16 and I am suffering from depression, psychotic features and OCD. I feel that my mum will worry too much because not only dos she have a full time job, 4 children and is a single mum and therefore, I think she has enough on her plate; let alone worrying about me. You could always ask for some sleeping tablets if he is finding it hard to fall asleep, they make patients drowsy and more relaxed.

I hope he finds CBT helpful. Hope this has helped x