Is any one on 40mg of citalopram? Can't take much more of this ?

Hi there I haven't been on for ages has I've been doing ok with my harm ocd well I thought I was until recently I broke down in thepary and relised I'm actually not coping with it! Told my doc that I'm still not myself nothing makes me happy I don't do the things I used to like I just got no intrest in anything so he put my citalopram up from 20mg to 40mg It's my second week today and I'm just so restless my intrusive thoughts of harm are worse everything worse I don't know what to do in just sat here crying because I just don't know what to do I hate this feeling I hate being ill I can't take it much more! How long should I wait until I go back to the doctors ? Shall i wait a few more weeks to see if the increase works! Thanks for reading! Heidi x

Guest OCDelighted

Ooft I've been there Heidi, turned my world upside down for a for a while. I gave it 3 months before I called it a day, worst 3 months of my life.

Guest Unknowngirl44

Hi hun. I'm on 40mg of citalopram. I'm not a doctor, so please don't take this as me saying what you should do, but being on this dose has improved my life a lot. It's always hard going on SSRI's, and upping the dose is awful too, but for me the effects of this didn't last long and I don't feel any side effects at all now. If it were me, I'd wait as you've already gone through the worst of it I imagine, and it can surely only get easier from here once your brain gets used to the increase. Can you grit your teeth and wait for it to pass?? Of course though-if you feel u can't cope, u must call a doctor, but if you do decide to push through then just take it easy and remember that every day that goes past should get easier. Perhaps you could go and ask your pharmacist or doctor how long it is normal for these symptoms to last. That way you can give yourself an informed cut off point for trying. I hope you feel better soon-just take it easy and look after yourself whilst changing doses xx

Guest OCDelighted

Heidi my last post wasn't very helpful, apologies.

It was a pretty accurate account of my last fling with citalopram however I failed to mention that I was on it for almost 5 years of which I was symptom symptom free for the most part. It was when I came of it and tried going back on it again a few months later that I struggled with it, why is that? No idea unfortunately.

Citalopram is not officially used for ocd in this country,its listed for depression and panic attacks although many people gain benefit from it

The main SSRIs used for ocd are fluoxetine,sertraline and paroxatine, all these have a licence in this country although many doctors find citalopram just as effective

Try the citalopram for a few more weeks and if no response ask to go on a high dose of fluoxetine or sertraline etc

Guest legend

speak to your gp regards side effects .

i tried them and had awful side effects , to the point of hospitilisation

A good gp , would sometimes offer a anti anxiety med to run alongside the increase, to dampen it down until the meds settled in

However, as i said , speak to gp. or nhs direct. Not nice at all , and of course one must remember meds dont cure ocd

Guest OCDelighted

I'm dealing with it without meds now and I've made a VAST improvement.

CBT is definitely integral in recovering and I only had 7 sessions but it helped me get the right perspective.

Guest legend

I'm dealing with it without meds now and I've made a VAST improvement.

CBT is definitely integral in recovering and I only had 7 sessions but it helped me get the right perspective.

good :)

Guest PaulE

Hi heidi, im on 40mg of citrapram. I had it increased from 20 a few monthes ago..i found that 20 was lossing the same effect as what it was when i started..40 does give a giid balance if feeling relaxed but everyone is diferent. Its up to yoyr doc to work with you to find mefication that you are happy with and works well...all the best to you..Paul

Guest Cripplingfear

Hi there I haven't been on for ages has I've been doing ok with my harm ocd well I thought I was until recently I broke down in thepary and relised I'm actually not coping with it! Told my doc that I'm still not myself nothing makes me happy I don't do the things I used to like I just got no intrest in anything so he put my citalopram up from 20mg to 40mg It's my second week today and I'm just so restless my intrusive thoughts of harm are worse everything worse I don't know what to do in just sat here crying because I just don't know what to do I hate this feeling I hate being ill I can't take it much more! How long should I wait until I go back to the doctors ? Shall i wait a few more weeks to see if the increase works! Thanks for reading! Heidi x

Hello. I advice to talk to your doctor again. My psychiatrist said that anything beyond 20mg will in most cases only increase the anxiety. I guess it depends on the person though.