So scared of how i feel

Since we have moved house I felt so depressed, On top of my ocd I can`t seem to function and I am drinking to much and no one seems to be able to help me. I went to the doctors and all he did was up my tablets, My cbt is not working and I can`t seem to get anyone to listen tow desperate I have become to the point of just wanting to give up but I can`t get any help and all my family say is you have to do it yourself but I can`t

Guest eden1616

Sorry you are feeling so bad. First thing try and stop drinking alcohol is a depressant and will make you feel worse and it is very dangerous to mix alcohol and medication so try and stop that. Also try and take some time to relax and see if that helps amd keep trying with the cbt.

I just want to say that im sorry you are having a difficult time. I can identify with some of this. Im going to move now, and have contimination ocd, and im terrified. Be careful with alcohol. Please dont give up. Wish i could help!

Try to relax, you will get better. You might be stronger then you know. I really have to find the strenght myself. Even though i just want to disepear sometimes.

Its hard when people around dont get how difficult it is, and you feel you dont get enogh or right help. I dont know how helpful my post is..

Take care! xx

I think moving to a new house is such a big stressful event that its natural that ocd increases. I think you will get better when you get organized and feels safer in your new home. I agree that changing theraphist or medication also is options. But i got alot worse during changing medicine, and am not dure if i would recommendthat right now. Then your doctor would make sure you didnt get worse. Dont give up cbt. You are just having alot to cope with right now.

all my family say is you have to do it yourself but I can`t

Yes you can :)

Try and get rid of those paralysing words "I can't" ......Think "I'm struggling big time but I can get through this" The language we use in our self-talk is really important. Nothing has gone wrong or changed in your brain other than stress and if you keep calm, as you get used to the new house things will settle back down. For now you just have to tread water for a while and keep thinking "I can do this"

This is a blip......a very challenging one but you can get through....honest :hug:

Caramoole

Yes come on Joanne,

You will get used to your new home and environment. It will take a bit of time.

My last home move was the most incredibly stressful time for me and wife and because we were so busy at work I could only take 2 days off. It was dreadful .

When we sent to the solicitors office to exchange contracts (having had one sale fall through before) it was super stressful and didn't get better.

Without OCD and Ms it is stressful for people. Add those in and it will be even more challenging.

But you can get there - remember, one step at a time - and your girls need you.

Edited by taurean
I feel everyone will be better off without me though

Try telling your little girls that :(

These are the sort of statements you've got to stop making to yourself. I understand why you're feeling that way but you've got to keep a check on yourself and resist doing it. Honestly, you must Joanne.

When i was in a bad place a while ago, a mental health guy told me write down every task/job i was going to do. And follow through with it.

Forget about the feeling,when were depressed we dont feel like getting out of bed.

With a new house and a family im sure you would get a long list of stuff to do. Persevere do one at a time.

It will wear you out, but thats a good thing.

And people wont be better off without you, you will be needed by people on here for a start, you have advice/experience someone else will need.

And drinking, if you know its no good then give it a miss.

You have the power to do this.

Think how proud your family will be when you start recovering.

Definitely try and avoid alcohol as much as you can. I was attempting a dry January and managed to last three weeks. By the third week I was feeling considerably better and my most debilitating harm OCD thoughts really weren't at the forefront of my mind - admittedly they were replaced with something else(!) but something that I found more bearable to put up with. Unfortunately I had a Saturday night out with some friends and ended up drinking way too much, inevitably finding the worst thoughts coming back the following afternoon and are still sitting with me now almost a week later, feeling horribly desperate. What's getting me through is knowing that less than a week ago I was so much better (not perfect by a very long way) but I was functioning and managing to even enjoy bits of life.

All the best to you. I can have the most hideous day but then find the next one is strangely OK.

Hi Joanne,

Some good advice from our friends,i need to take on board as well what has been said,i am sorry you are feeling this way,but no-one would be better off without you,i really do understand how you feel though.

As Roy said,moving house is stressful enough for anyone without an illness,and you have 2 to cope with,i think you have done well to do it!

You will get through this,give yourself time,don't expect too much too soon.

Not sure if what i have said is any help,but am thinking of you Joanne xx

Guest itsnotmeitsmyocd

Sending you :hug: 's Joanne.

Everyone has given you excellent advice and i can't really add to it. What Caramoole says about the use of words like "i can't" is exactly what my therapist tells me too. One thing that can help when you're totally overwhelmed is to break things down. It sounds to me that everything is playing on your mind, all you can humanly do is what you can do today - tomorrow is just that. What helps me is to pick one thing i will work on and when i start to get overwhelmed by "all the other things coming into my mind" i remind myself that for now i am dealing with the one thing i have chosen. So maybe you can try this tonight, pick one thing and stick to it - finish strong :) xx

My wife is doing this at the moment. She has no OCD but was trying to cope with too many things - her 93-year-old Mum, home mangement, clearing outiunneeded junk, helping re getting in builders, our pension arrangements, looking after her own body management - hers and her Mum's personal affairs,. two sick brothers-in-law, siblings who can't agree and an unwell husband with OCD.

We analysed these, and have restructured the house to give her access to what she needs at all times even if i am taking rest. My office has moved downstairs, she has two rooms upstairs and now is spending time in the mornings on some of these issues and resting after 15.00 hours. Each day she moves forward what she can, and i do more around the home.