Cant stop thinking about something

Hi,

I have an issue where I am worried about being unhygienic or doing something unhygienic and what people will think of me. At the moment I cant stop thinking about something I did last year. I didn't think about it for a long time but now I can't get it off my mind. It is just something to do with hygiene and cleanliness.

I am afraid of what other people will think of me if they knew what I did.

This is one of those instances where you just have to put it out of your mind. You do so by refusing to think about it. Don't go over it in your head. Don't think about what other people would think. No one is going to find out unless you say anything and even if you did you would probably find out they thought it was a minor problem anyway.

I think it's important to remember that people always think......the spectrum is massive and vast. It could range from someone thinking that something someone is wearing into the office one day doesn't suit them.....to someone thinking about what they are having for dinner tonight.

The very important thing is how we react to how we think people might be perceiving us.

Try to just become aware of the thoughts and feelings that get thrown up in your body when the particular thought comes up. Just note it like this....(1st layer of noting) okay so now i'm thinking.... feeling (2nd layer) it's unpleasant..... (3rd layer) label it - so is it OCD?...Anxiety etc. By labeling the feeling/thought it becomes not a part of us and we are able to clearly hold it out in front of us and SEE the thought without reacting and engaging with it. This needs to be done in a very soft...gentle way. Like a feather brushing against a glass.

I hope this quick bit of advice helps you in some way