Intrusive thoughts of harming - feel rubbish

Hi all, I haven't posted anything on this forum in a while. Things have been ticking along quite nicely and I have been able to manage my OCD intrusive thoughts well with the use of 30 mg Mirtazapine daily at night - along with daily mindfulness meditation/mindfulness techniques.

However....:(

A massive 'spike' has occurred. I think it was created whilst I was watching Louis Therox's documentary on a mental health inpatient ward recently - where one particular patient killed his father. This threw up loads of intrusive thoughts, images and feelings after I watched the tv programe. I imagined what it would be like to kill your own parent and then thought how horrible it would be. Then after and for several days now I see images of me possibly harming my mother, and intrusive thoughts keep being thrown up when I least expect it. I of course do not want to do this - and have no plan to!!! But as we all know - OCD makes you believe things that are in no way part of your personality. I feel intense guilt for thinking these things and feel rubbish.

I apply my mindfulness techniques I really do - which is essentially just becoming more and more aware of the thoughts and watch them pass by - like clouds in the sky, There is always the clear blue sky behind the clouds, it's just a case of watching the clouds and not reacting to them.

It is really grinding me down and I feel awful for thinking such disturbing images and thoughts towards my mum who I cherish so much. I would value any of your thoughts and experiences regarding this.

Thanks so much

You shouldn't be feeling awful for thinking up such images. You aren't thinking up the images. OCD is making them pop into your head. Give yourself a break. A mental disorder is causing you to think/see these images.

In addition to the mindfulness, you need to work to not perform compulsions. Ruminating will be the big one -- going over the images, what they say about you, what they mean, whether you would or wouldn't do such things, etc.

Thanks Polar

You are definitely correct. I am aware the whole ruminating thing is one of the biggest obstacles I need to work on. I think I shall add this awareness level to my mindfulness practice.

Take care