New here

Guest maya_8

Hi everyone

I'm 32 years old and been suffering ocd about half my life. I've had periods without it, and periods where it was "manageable", but in the last couple of years it's been affecting me more. It probably had to do with me marrying (happily) but I had to move to his country, which has been a stressful and lonely journey. And being married I can not just jump and do my rituals freely, so I've had to talk with my husband (not in much detail) about it and even though he tries to understand and support me, he doesn't really get it and sometimes gets impatient and asks me like " but your read those books about it, aren't you ok now? "

My ocd involves mainly washing rituals because of being afraid something will happen if I touch something with a "bad energy",which not only takes some much time and energy but also has made my apartment to have "restricted zones"', my hands look much older, ruined things like books and even an iPhone with water.

I hope in this forum I can learn more about how to deal with it this and maybe find some support from people that knows how's this is like.

Maya

Welcome to the forum maya.

It is very common for a new, stressful situation such as moving to a new country to spark OCD and make it worse.

Do have a look around the main forum and feel free to jump right in. We are a community of sufferers that help sufferers.

Guest jrb5094

Hi Maya,

Here are some things that help me (no particular order):

Exercise

Telling myself, it's not me, it's my ocd

Writing- I keep a journal, it really helps. Try and only report positive things

Hope you find some of this helpful. This is a tough thing to deal with but we must keep trying!

Welcome Maya, I hope you find the forums as helpful as I have! I also encourage you to check out the main OCD-UK site, perhaps with your husband to help him better understand OCD too.