hopeless :(

Guest elisa bear

Guest elisa bear

Hi, wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have been suffering with what I think is harm ocd for nearly three years now, I was going to bed one night and this horrible thought came into my head I just thought wot if I hurt my dog. It came out of nowhere and I just told myself to forget about it. The next day of course I couldn't get it out of my head. Three years later things have gotten out of control most of the time I'm even afraid to touch my dog for fear that I will hurt him I barely even rub him and if I do its very lightly so there's no possibility of causing him pain. When I walk him I try to keep up with him so I won't have to pull him on the lead and he's a husky so it's very difficult. He used to be my whole world he's the best dog and I love him so much. Sometimes I get horrible feelings that I want to cause him pain and I wish they wasould go away because he never deserves to feel any pain, can anybody help. Thanks Elisa.

Guest heartplace

Hi Elisa, welcome :)

I have had harm OCD before, but it has since moved on to other obsessions for the most part.

A big part of OCD that has to be addressed is the compulsions. Compulsively avoiding to pet your dog, for example, acts as a crutch for the OCD. It's a self-contradictory cycle. What we try to relieve our anxiety with actually worsens it. So, as others will tell you here, it's best to label the thoughts as OCD and distract yourself.

Hope you can find anymore help you need on here. By the way I love huskies :)

Guest elisa bear

Thank you for your reply heartplace, I try to distract myself most of the time with going to work or housework etc, I also try playing games with him so at least he's having some fun:) hopefully things will get better soon seems pretty hopeless right now.

By not touching your dog you are reinforcing that there is something wrong with touching your dog. There is nothing wrong with touching him, even rough housing with him.

With OCD you pretty much have to do the opposite of what your brain is telling you.

Guest elisa bear

Hi polarbear thanx for replying, I think I know deep down that by rubbing him it won't hurt him but I get these horrible thoughts in my head like I want to hurt him so I'm afraid that I will do it so then when I do rub him even if it's very lightly I will think I've done wrong I wish I could go back to how I was coz I loved him so much and now everything's confusing

Like others have said avoiding your dog will only make things worse! It reinforces the belief that you're only not causing him harm because you're not going near him or touching him (if that makes sense!) so touching him etc is the only way you will learn that you are not going to hurt him! Even though it might cause anxiety at first.

Try your best to give him love! You could start with small things such as petting him lightly then move on to the things you're more worried about, such as walking slightly behind him when he's out for walks, or playing with him! Whatever concerns you :)

Let the anxiety pass and then you will almost teach yourself that you're not going to harm him!