does anyone find ocd jokes offensive

I have laughed at a few, very well written, OCD jokes. I admit it. I was a laugher.

As I have grown to understand the disorder, how complex it can be and how many themes there are, i have begun to take a dim view of OCD jokes that try to pigeon hole all of us into one of two categories: people who wash a lot and people who organize their pencils and pens relentlessly.

I strongly advise you NOT post any OCD jokes on the forum. I think they cheapen the disorder and make fun of people who are suffering.

Guest heartplace

I've seen a fellow sufferer joke about Pure O before, and I admit it was funny, because it was pretty accurate...to me as a sufferer it doesn't distract from the fact that OCD is a distressing disorder. But I can see how it might for others, even non-sufferers.

But it's when ignorant people joke about OCD in a very inaccurate way that I draw the line.

Sometimes I think it's a good idea to try and make light of my situation, even though I find it hard to and most of the time I don't because of depression.

Edited by heartplace
Guest Readyforchange

I feel comfortable having a good laugh and a joke at home with my partner. I think when you're having a laugh with someone who truly sees the pain and darkness of the condition it can be lifting to actually have a little giggle about it together.

I suppose in some way I feel like we've earned the right to have a little giggle about it but when I hear jokes come from a place void of real compassion or understanding I would be angry.

I think OCD jokes and context are important.

I always encourage people to try and see the humour in their OCD situations where they can, for example I was once feeling contaminated in my work clothes, so I got home and at the door I carefully stripped naked and placed all my clothes in a bin liner and tiptoed down my corridor towards the bathroom to shower, I got halfway when my female flatmate walked out the living room to see me standing there starkers', going bright bright red! A highly embarrassing situation, and one I can only laugh at now! She never asked, I never told and we never spoke about it ever again! lol. Before you ask why was I walking naked through the hallway, she was a probation officer and never ever home before 9pm... sods law that was the one day she came home early!

But anyway, context is key. It's ok for me to laugh at my OCD and ok for you guys to laugh with me. But if someone was joking at my expense that is very different. :)

Guest heartplace

Others are kind of expressing my sentiments, lol. I will gladly joke about it to my sister, who understands how horrible OCD really is. But if I hear someone else who doesn't know anything about it or discriminates against people with it joke about it, then I will not be happy.

I have no problem with uneducated people about the condition makeing jokes,i think the thing with humour is that alot of it is aimed at other peoples expense and doesnt mean its discriminating but just what they know about it,some of the worst jokes ive heard have been from the sweetest most kind hearted people who just throw it out there

But of course I get eveyones veiws,and were all different.

Ashley,your tale made me smile

I totally agree, context is key -

Exactly. Some people get annoyed at the inappropriate references to OCD we see all so readily, but I don't get upset at those if they are made through lack of education. I get upset and mad if they are made knowing they will upset, but made regardless, the context being the key.

But another of my OCD funny stories, this is going back maybe 6 or 7 years, I forget. I had contaminated my phone, so stupidly sprayed it, which cleaned but killed it. So, I thought ok it needs to be dried out, it's wet inside so my flatmate (different one) had a candle oil burner thing on a stand, so I removed the oil tray and placed my phone and lit the candle to let it heat and dry (don't try this at home kiddies). I went away to work on the PC and after a hour I could smell burning.... yep I had melted the plastic phone and totally destroyed my phone! Silly boy!

Its so refreshing to hear tales that can be looked back on and chuckled about,of course its not funny at the time but those in deep,me at times it also gives hope that you can look back and think,oh dear lol

In my twentys at a party I bit a party baloon(dont ask)then thought nothing of it,a week later when my parents had some very well to do freinds round,i was in my room and the thought came back,i convinced myself I had a party balloon stuck in my throat and went down into a room of ten people panaking that I was chokeing,an ambulance got called and I had a tube put up my nose and down my throat to obviously find nothing,at the time it was awful but I still chuckle when I think of how I must of sounded coughing and gasping then telling them I bit a ballon a week ago and I think its stuck