relapses - some advice would be good

Guest lizinlondon

Guest lizinlondon

I had my first bout of OCD 6 years ago and had CBT. I got better really quickly and had a good life again after 6 months of help. But my OCD came back two years ago and I struggled to manage it but I lost the battle and had a full relapse. Actually my OCD is worse than it was 6 years ago. I am looking for a therapist now to help me but I feel a failure because I have already had CBT and recovered but was not able to prevent a relapse. Has anyone else had a relapse? Do people recover again or am I a lost cause?

Liz go find that therapist as we advised in an earlier thread.

As you may have seen on the "success" thread, success is all about managing OCD and addressing relapses is a part of this.

When you find a therapist, ask them to draw up with you both a "map" of how your OCD operates and a recovery and response prevention "blueprint".

This will give you the tools you need.

Managing stress in your life is also vital, as it is a major trigger of OCD setbacks. And women are also more vulnerable to OCD around the hormonal changes during the monthly cycle.

Edited by taurean

I have had relapses before. I too had a period of being nearly ocd free for 6 years after cbt. But ocd is sneaky and can come back, especially if life gets stressful. I've had almost ocd free periods again but then more relapses as well. As polar says, I'm sure you can do it again! You have done it before. Also, I agree with you that the relapse can be worse than the original time, as you feel guilty with yourself for falling back and expect to be able to be fine straight away. Unfortunately, it's not always like that. Just take things one step at a time and do the right things. :)

Guest lizinlondon

yes you are right I did do it once so I am sure I can do it again. I feel such a fool though because I had the relapse prevention plan but I still relapsed! I could not prevent the relapse on my own and that makes me feel vulnerable. Next time if I ever feel a relapse coming on I will get some help straight away instead of struggling alone for so long. I have an appointment booked to see a new therapist next week so I guess my fight against OCD begins again!