From one SSRI to another

Guest Ta141069

Guest Ta141069

Hi All,

I am just posting this topic as I went to see the psychiatrist at the hospital last week who deals with women that are pregnant and after they have had their babies in the prenatal clinic it's called. When it was found out that I was pregnant I had been on fluoxetine 60mg a day and my gp decided it was best that I was switched to citalopram 20mg a day I took these for a couple of months and was advised by my gp to up the dose to 40mg which I did and thought well I can put up with the change of medication for the sake of my baby.

The psychiatrist when I saw him at 35 weeks pregnant said to see how I felt once I had the baby which I did last week and I asked to go back on the fluoxetine as I felt ocd wise that the citalopram didn't help me that much obviously it did help to some degree but I had been very emotional after giving birth as the experience wasn't too pleasant due to a midwife but I have been feeling less emotional the last three weeks so that's been great. So today I have started to take fluoxetine today no reducing the dose of the citalopram just straight onto the new medication today it was the same when I had to swap them initially in my pregnancy no tapering the meds off just from fluoxetine to citalopram immediately.

I guess what I am asking is has anyone had any problems switching one to the other as the gp and psych said for the first couple of weeks I might feel a bit dodgy but after that I would be okay and I am trying not to worry about it but yknow what it's like with ocd you worry anyway don't you. My daughter is now 5 weeks old and the youngest of my four children the other three are boys to anyone that doesn't know. :a1_cheesygrin:

Love

Tracy

x

first of all well done on your new addition!!

when i changed meds, Sertraline to amilytriptilne i felt a bit floaty

and "cotton wooled" for a few days and i felt better after a week,

hope this helps and try not to worry about it,

keep well, legend

Hi there

I think everyone is different, some people do struggle and suffer withdrawal type symptoms. But last year I changed from a very high dose of Seroxat to a similarly high dose of Citalopram without any problem really. I felt occassional 'electric shock' feelings but otherwise it was fine.

Congrats on babe :a1_cheesygrin:

Catherine :original:

Guest Ta141069

Hi Catherine and Legend,

Thanks for your replies I agree I don't think there is anything to worry about but yknow what OCD is like makes you doubt loads of things doesn't it.

The key I believe is to just have confidence that the medication will suit me better that I am switching to as it did before I was pregnant plus I am extremely overweight so by the time I change my eating as well then things will improve.

Thanks for replying

Love

Tracy

x

Guest jimmyfivetimes

My doctor told me there main concern is bad drug interaction between the 2 when changing, if none you stop one and start the other immediately. Sounds like Zombie time if you have a reaction between the two.