OCD-UK - Shot glass challenge - Merged Thread

Hey guys,

Please excuse if this i on the wrong board but I thought it might be there best place for it. I've been thinking lately that we need something like the "no make-up selfies" and the "ice bucket challenge", for OCD-UK. As we all know, despite it's name, OCD-UK helps people around the globe. It's only fair they recieve some support in return, so here's what I propose...

The OCD-UK Shot Glass Challenge

Take a shot glass (you can get plastic ones in pound shops, no opting out on that!), fill it with anything you like/fancy. It can be anything, though obviously, I don't recommend raiding the cupboards under the kitchen sink!

Take a photo of your filled shot glass

Donate £3 to OCD-UK, the same as everyone donated to Cancer Research during the "no make-up selfies".

(Optional) post a video on social media of you taking your shot (the one in the glass, nothing else!)

Relax, sit back, and feel proud :)

It's some publicity for OCD-UK and gives us chance to get our voices heard, £3 if you do it, £5 if you refuse. It's a tiny amount and it helps OCD-UK and raises awareness of OCD at the same time.It's said OCD effects 1 in 50 people, we need to make the general public aware of this damned disorder! What do you think?

FoosBoo88 x

ETA - I should of added, OCD recovery is about overcoming challenges. So, all shots should be no hands! :p

Edited by FoosBoo88

Hmmmmmmm.......Here comes the big Party Pooper (Sorry FoosBoo :crybaby: )

I know you said the shots could be anything but I'm not sure if the whole "Shots" culture thingy is perhaps the best angle for us.

Shots to me (being an :wheelchair: ) sum up the whole young peoples drinking culture and OCD-wise, anxiety-wise not sure if it's the best image to adopt :(

I think it's fantastic that you're being a trail blazer and want to raise awareness.....perhaps we could toss it around between ourselves to see what range of ideas we could come up with. A little while ago Laura (OCD-NI) started a "Shelfie" (selfies) one with pictures of people with OCD books on their heads (shelf-help) ...I quite liked that :D

Really good you want to help support the charity though....it's much appreciated

Caramoole :)

Hmm good point Caramoole, just trying to think of something that will appeal to people to take part in as it seems to be it needs to be a it wild and whacky to raise an interest.

I'll keep thinking...I've walked 2-3 miles of rural countryside today, maybe tiredness has stopped me coming up with a really, truly bright spark idea. I will keep thinking, I shall remain undeterred! :D

FoosBoo88 x

How about posing with your finger and thumb in a circle. You remember the three fingers fund raising for alzheimer's. The circle could represent the eternal loop OCD suffers get stuck in.

Guest itsnotmeitsmyocd

How about taking a photo, that could capture a moment in our day, when we are going against Ocd and achieving our path to recovery. Or even a photo of a normal everyday moment, that shows we also happen to be normal people.

I like your idea also Philli . LOL-ing Caramoole :) :)

I agree with Foos, people are mostly willing to participate in wacky and daring activties. Expanding on the "shot glass" idea, how about instead a person has to take a really spicy hot sauce and drink five gulps of it?

Hmm I'm not sure but I think to appeal to the masses there has to be some dare devil element to the challenge!

Yes, but then you get something like the ice bucket challenge, where awareness goes out the window and is replaced by people doing it just to get on the internet. I would rather OCD UK not be associated with something like that. And the charity lied to people about where the money was going. :sleep:

Well it doesn't have to be a challenge like that, the no make-up cancer challenge is quite daring for some people. The problem is spreading awareness in a informative yet fun way. A lot of people don't know what OCD is and mistake it with OCPD and think OCD is just washing your hands a lot or being really clean or checking locks a lot.

What color is the OCD awareness ribbon? We could do a challenge where people have to paint the ribbon on their cheek and wear it for a whole day or wear lots of clothing that color. :)

Yes, they never told anyone that the money went into animal research, people who are very dedicated to animal welfare donated money or took the challenge without knowing that the money was being used for something that went against there beliefs. Even PETA didn't know, if it had not been for Pamela Anderson no one would have known. The charity should have made it clear so that those who did not believe in there methods had a choice not to take part.

I actually quite like the shot glass idea - not a fan of drinking shots and everything, but for something to take off on social media I think there has to be a 'funny' or novelty element - the ice bucket challenge has taken off because people think it's funny to watch their friends get doused in icy water. Personally, I am in two minds about the ethics of this sort of thing but it definitely works in terms of donations and raising awareness. The selfie craze, for example, raised millions for charity (even though, again, I didn't really agree with the idea of women showing their faces as being 'daring'!) I think it definitely has to be something which ahs the power to get people laughing and talking and sharing.

Phili - I also agree they should have been more honest about the animal testing.

Guest LauraMac

I like the idea but I do agree about shot glasses maybe not being quite right. People will turn it into a drinking fest. Well they would over here in Northern Ireland anyway! Lol.

I've been doing a bit of thinking with OCD NI and had brainstormed about a superhero type theme. Representing how amazing OCD sufferers are with everything they cope with on a daily basis. Think it could be something that might encourage sufferers too. Not sure exactly where to go with it but perhaps personal challenges or something? Maybe getting people dressed in superhero stuff? Perhaps the best fake flying image or something. I don't quite know yet! Lol

Edited by LauraMac
Guest LauraMac

Got another idea. Bad dance moves challenge.

(Changed this post other one might get too out of hand!) haha risk management and all that!

Edited by LauraMac

What about leaping into water pictures......"Taking the Plunge" or "Leap of Faith"

Could be into a swimming pool, stood on the edge of the bath, a bit of photo-shop editing splicing a pic of yourself stood on a glass rim, jumping into a stream

...but then there's the H & S Monster to consider....don't want anyone being too wreckless

Hey guys,

I'm back after a good sleep and some rest so hopefully my thinking cap will be of more use today! :D

There's been some great ideas here, but I really like those ideas that are kind of 'reflective' of OCD (ie a challenge, because OCD is a challenge. The orange colour to reflect OCD-UK etc)

I think we need to keep it sort of in theme, if you like. Perhaps when it comes to being to do with the head crazy hats or whacky hairstyles? But that said, we all know panic attacks are a whole body experience - so that point is moot! :D

The other idea I had was taken from the Pure O article - a plank challenge, where we have to walk a plank over a height and distance of our choice. That said with my balance and co-ordination I'd probably need to rip our front door off of it's hinges, fit it out with handles and somehow hover it not more than an inch off the floor...hmm..maybe not, then!

The point raised by LauraMac about it becoming a drinking fest is a good point too - we definitely don't want that association! :D

Keep it coming, guys!

FoosBoo88 x

Guest LauraMac

Trust the Northern Irish girl to think of that! Haha!

Funny I had thought of walking over a plank thing myself then health and safety came into it. Crazy hair styles might be a good one! Bit of a laugh!

Caramoole what exactly is this H&S of which you speak? This girl doesn't do those health and safety things! I used to swim in the Atlantic with our dog to make sure he didn't go too far. I also I do love that "leap of faith" idea - but I can see a tombstoning extravaganza coming of it..we don't want people hurting themselves for OCD-UK!

Like your idea Caramoole! That's a good idea that. Could have a face your fears type thing. Would be great that. :)

I did think of something ike that LauraMac as I thought if people have a phobia they could pose with a picture of their phobia (kind of an exposure at the same time) but then if you have a seeming daft phobia (did you know Simon from Blue has a phobia of eggs? Just an example) it might make people too embarrassed to take part for fear of ridicule. Though that said, that reflects perfectly that we know how silly our obsessions are, yet we've still got them!

Perhaps people who are taking part could share their donation message with the picture like they did for no make-up selfies as well?

I think a "face your fears for OCD" sounds great...especially as that's what we're expected to do in therapy!

Just read what's been said about the ALS charity and animal testing. How horrid :( I hope that's not true. I think that will upset a lot of ALS sufferers who don't want that sort of association.

FoosBoo88 x

Trust the Northern Irish girl to think of that! Haha!

Funny I had thought of walking over a plank thing myself then health and safety came into it. Crazy hair styles might be a good one! Bit of a laugh!

Oh yes...but then I'm 1/4 Irish myself so..figures ;)

Health and safety...ahh yes... I expect health and safety would of approved of people throwing ice over their heads, too? I'm thinking shock right here. And what about those silly sausages who sat in ice baths to take part? I'm sensing a touch of hypothermia? Suddenly a plank seems fine. And anyhow, we used to walk balance beams all the time in gym class in school!

Just my thoughts! Lol

FoosBoo88 x

Guest legend

giving laura the credit for the shelfie .... humph lol ;)

An idea i have is tipping a small bag of flour over the head

The white would represent fear , as i feel you look very pale when in the grips of fear and anxiety

And (wait for it !! ) the cliche could be " self raising awareness"