Please support our forums - ensure the forums can continue

Over recent weeks we have seen an influx of new users on our website with a significant number of overseas users, so hello and welcome to all :)

You may not be aware, but the forum costs our charity a considerable amount of money each year for website hosting, for software licenses and also for charity time resource. Therefore if you use our forums on a regular basis and are in a position to do so we would be really grateful if you would please consider either making a one-off donation or becoming a member of our charity for just £2 a month (£24 a year).

You can donate online here - http://www.ocduk.org/donate or to become a member simply click the store link at the top and take out a 6 month or 12 month membership - http://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?app=nexus

Anybody that does donate or join will be sent a copy of the next copy of the charity's members magazine Compulsive Reading which I am sending to print next week, overseas users will be emailed an electronic version.

Huge thanks to everyone that does already support our charity, we are so grateful for your support, thank you.

Or of course you can also donate to our charity through the bicycle picture link on the side of the front of forums to our Ride4OCD project Just Giving page, this will sponsor myself and Professor Salkovskis in our effort to ride across the UK next month http://www.justgiving.com/ocd

Welcome all and thank you.

Ashley

on behalf of OCD-UK

Guest doris

can you only do payments online or can i send a cheque or money order somewhere? I have no credit card and am not too good with pay pal.

In my former business of insurance broking, a key element of our marketing was USP's - unique selling points. Since we knew our opposition, we could state what was unique about our approach.

Now i can't say what is definitely unique about our charity - as I have no specific knowledge of OCD other charities around the world to compare it to. But what is special about it for me is that :

It is run by sufferers or ex-sufferers for sufferers, family and friends of sufferers, and - a really big plus - to spread awareness, lobby government and organisations, protest when things that are not deemed right occur; and assist in the provision of knowledge about OCD to mental healthcare professionals.

It is a small charity, reliant on voluntary workers and fundraising and membership fees to do its work.

The forums are for me a very important part of reaching out to sufferers - probably a usual point of entry to the charity, as they were for me. But all forum joiners can also gain benefit from the help screens and information on the main OCD-UK website - link top left of the screen, but bearing in mind material and guidance is specifically designed for the U.K.. And the shop is a valuable resource for sufferers, family and friends, especially on self-help.

Please do make a donation or join the charity if you can, it will make so much difference to the viability of continuing the valuable help from the forums as well as the other work of the charity.

And we will welcome new members to the members only and arcade computer games and chat areas of the forum.

Edited by taurean
Guest doris

can you only do payments online or can i send a cheque or money order somewhere? I have no credit card and am not too good with pay pal.

oops never mind--i see where we can send cheques to. thanks!

Guest cnm924

I may have to take out a membership. I'm so grateful that I've found this forum. I found it at a time in my life when I've needed it most.

Sometimes people say they can't afford to offer support....and I'm sure many have struggled in recent years and yet, sometimes it's worth putting into perspective.

Something as small as a £2 donation.....what can it buy?

4 packets of crisps

4 Cigarettes

A bag of chips

1 lottery ticket

One quarter of a take-away pizza

A cheap magazine

It can't even buy a pint in a pub or one glass of wine

We don't use much money on administration or fund-raisers, our running costs are kept as low as they possibly can be because we're largely run by volunteers/ sufferers.

Even if you can't commit to a membership, please consider a one-off, small donation of £2 or even £1 to the JOGLE sponsored bike ride.....it all adds up.

And it will go towards the vital key work that goes on every day on these forums; no doubt the reason, after viewing threads as a guest, that you joined us in the first place :original:

I feel both delighted, but also proud, to have found these forums, and this charity; I am both a taker and a giver- seeking guidance for myself, but also providing it for others - and that is at the heart of day to day activities here.

Donations help, buying merchandise from the shop on the main OCD-UK website helps, being sponsored to give up - or complete - something helps.

But to carry on with and maintain these forums needs funding, and no grants are provided.

So please everyone, become a member or make some form of donation - size doesn't matter, but giving something does.

:original:

• 2 weeks later...

Membership is becoming a member of the charity OCD-UK.

Membership subscriptions are an important source of funding to support the work of the charity.

Members receive a wonderful magazine - with really interesting content - called "compulsive reading" and get access to the members-only forums and the games arcade and chatroom. There is a members discount for goods bought in the OCD-UK shop.

I believe the current rate is £2 per month - or £24 for a year if paid in full. But there will be a link on the page to confirm this.

Members get a gold star against their forum id - you will see this to the left of my post.

Edited by taurean

Hi Liberty,

It can be done £2 a month by manual standing order, I will have to pop a standing order form out to you should you be in a position to :) Like Caramoole said earlier, it's very kind of you to think about helping us when things improve, thank you.

I'm happy to report that I have just paid for an annual membership. Apart from all of the nice benefits that come with it, I'm really pleased to be able to support this amazing space. It's home to so many caring, helpful people, most of whom just happen to have OCD. It has been truly helpful over the past month, as I've battled this hideous disorder, to know I'm not alone. Thank you one and all.

Welcome to the club Sodovka.

My message has been ignored. I wasnt trying to be funny at all. If other charitys can receive help from the lotto then why not us?

Stu

I think a lot of resource would be needed to try and make a viable submission in what is also a very competitive bidding process, with many organisations who do have appropriate resource seeking funding.

I would imagine there is not the resource to commit to that - uncertain - process at this stage.

My message has been ignored. I wasnt trying to be funny at all. If other charitys can receive help from the lotto then why not us?

Hi Stu

No-one's ignoring your message. My role is forum based and I'm not involved with the fund-raising aspect, so I can't really comment effectively. Ashley is currently on a bicycle in Scotland on Day 5 of a 19 day trip, cycling 1250 miles from John 'O Groats to Lands End to raise funds.....so he has very limited time to check in at the moment. I'm sure he'll respond when he can :)

Hi Stu

No-one's ignoring your message. My role is forum based and I'm not involved with the fund-raising aspect, so I can't really comment effectively. Ashley is currently on a bicycle in Scotland on Day 5 of a 19 day trip, cycling 1250 miles from John 'O Groats to Lands End to raise funds.....so he has very limited time to check in at the moment. I'm sure he'll respond when he can :)

That's ok, Is this charity run just by the 2 of you then?