Brain pathways

Doing well at only coming on once a day and avoiding other compulsions :)

Just wanted to ask .i read on here a few things about peoples brains adapting if we respomd differently eg.not doing compulsions. Is this a physical thing or a psychological thing? I am really interested and would like to know more about this.

Thank you :)

Edited by ecomum

What you are asking about is called neuroplasticity. IT's a physiological process in which your neurons in your brain fire a different pattern, when doing exposure therapy or CBT. You "relearn" and redo a behavior until the compulsion becomes less and less in your life. "Relearning" is when your neurons find a new neural pathway to fire, which leads to new behavior. IT can take a few months for this to happen, but if you do it everyday, changes occur sooner. Hope that helps.

Thank you jballlan.that is good news for me.i believe my ocd is mainly due to my mums worries when i was young as they follow the same themes so i am hoping i can learn a way of dealing with them that i never learned naturally as a child.i will be looking into this.thank you for explaining it to me and taking the time to reply :)