When you know it's OCD and tell yourself you don't need to worry but you can't concentrate

I have nearly finished my CBT which has gone well but I just need a bit of support with this.

When I have a trigger, I know it's OCD straight away and tell myself that I don't need to worry. The problem is I then struggle to re-convene what I was concentrating on. I'm not thinking about the trigger or worrying about it in thoughts but I just feel distracted and my mind glazes over then I keep telling myself, 'you don't need to worry, just re-focus' but I just sit there unable to refocus but not really worrying either. It really stops me from getting on with my day. I know I don't need to worry so why do I still feel worried when I tell myself not to?

Does anyone else understand what I mean?

x

It's possible it's just your brain getting ready to do a compulsion because it is so used to it. Also, maybe there's a part of you that still has to consciously think to not compulse when triggered. If I were you I would carry on with what you are doing. When you get triggered just don't expect yourself to be able to switch off immediately from how it used to make you feel, it will come in time. Just see it as a transitional phase and don't overthink it :original:

Yes it does feel like I want to ruminate but I'm stopping myself so I just feel unfocused. I do still feel the need to tell myself not to ruminate etc but starting to be able to automatically observe the thought and not engage with it.

It's just that worried, distracted feeling that bothers me! However, I've just watched a video online about how to let your thoughts be there. I think what I need to do is continue to observe the thought/trigger, not react then let the feeling be there for as long as it wants to stick around and not try to get rid of it. It should go on its own eventually right? And over time my brain will learn I'm not going to react to the trigger and stop giving me anxiety/worry?

Thanks Gemma x

Yes the less importance you give a thought the less likely it will stick around. Just keep up not reacting to the thought and watch out for any covert compulsions like self-reassurance, rumination or any neutralising thoughts. Good luck :original: