I was doing so well

Guest soph

Hi guys, not been on for a few week now as I felt things we're starting to get better and I was dealing with things more. (Although still find it hard to say them three little letters!)

However, today is one if the worst days I've ever had and I don't know how to deal with it. I'm at work and I am finding it really really difficult.

Any suggestions? I am desperate.

Hi Soph

Relapses and how to prepare for them are part of OCD management.

You are not responsible either for your OCD or the bile it alledges against you

See it for what it is.

If you've been somewhat browbeaten by it today just accept that but label intrusions as OCD and don't engage with them or try and neutralise them.

Just let them be and look for involved distractions.

But I must be partly responsible or i wouldn't let it happen.

I ended up having a panic attack which I haven't done in a while, finding it hard to get out of the hole this time.

Guest heartplace

Hi Soph,

I know how that feels, thinking you're responsible for so much OCD hands to you. But taurean's advice to you is excellent advice. OCD goes into remission once in a while, then comes back out. That's how it works for me, anyway. And I know all too well about those panic attacks. But keep this in mind - if if feels like OCD, or if you're wondering if it is OCD, then it's OCD.

I once saw mental illness likened to physical illness, in the sense that if you have a chronic physical illness and you relapse, you can't help it. It's beyond your control and you don't need to be ashamed of it. The same exact thing can be said about anything like OCD, depression, etc. There's no reason to feel bad if you have a relapse. It's beyond your control when it happens and the best way to deal with it effectively is to sit with the anxiety and try not to perform compulsions or interact with your thoughts.

Hang in there, you can do it :)

Edited by heartplace

Thank you so much for your advice, this hasn't happened before and I think I was secretly hoping it had gone away forever and by doing that I've made it worse for myself now it's come back.

It's so nice to know I'm not alone :)