Is it just seeking answers that's the problem, or getting them?

Guest anatta

I understand the principles behind why compulsively seeking information (in my case I won't call it reassurance because I typically think up new questions each time about whatever I'm obsessed with, not exactly the same question repeatedly), reinforces to the brain that the obsession is important. However, why is RECEIVING that information, once sought out, bad? Does it actually do any good to refuse answer someone's questions, or has all the damage been done anyway the moment they asked for it?

The questions are usually part of compulsing - analysing .

If it's simply a situation where the sufferer has a lack of knowledge, or needs some support or guidance then fine - but rewarding the analysing compulsion or the need to get something ok'd when the forum has already supplied the tools - would seem inappropriate.

I don't personally see antything wrong with providing updates on progress - it helps the sufferer to know there are people out there willing them on and maybe nudging them when they veer off course.

Does it actually do any good to refuse answer someone's questions

No.....Dependent on why they're being asked. I think (so far as the forum is concerned) it is very easy to identify what constitutes a genuine query as opposed to the desperate need for reassurance

Would it be OK to say "you've just done a compulsion, you shouldn't do that", and then answer the question anyway? Or, for example, if you've asked a question or said something to see how someone will respond (which due to the obscurity of my theme and wide range of compulsive questions relating to it, is quite easy for me to do even on this forum without anyone realising it's a compulsion), is it worth saying "no, don't answer that, it was a compulsion" or might you just as well get the answer by that point? Does the relief you feel from getting the info reinforce the OCD, or only the initial seeking of the info? Are there any studies that distinguish between the effects of the two?

Edited by anatta

You are overanalysing Anatta (something am familiar with being told ablout me).

Caramoole's answer is sensible - depends.....

Let's remember what Ashley said and what I posted kin res;ponse. We are the ones who can make the changes. We need to learn what to do and impliment it.

Remember how Legend and PolarBear - who have recovered - speak - pure facts and what to do, n o analysis, nothing else.

Questions have a value only if essential to understanding what to do, or how to impliment it. Beyond that they are likely feeding compulsions aren't they? Compulsions strengthen OCD - apathy weakens it.

You have like me an enquiring intellectual mind. But too mich research and in-depth analysis may be counter-productive.

Edited by taurean