OCD like a war in my mind

I have ocd and like a train runing though my mind. like a fighting battle good v bad. i was on the works pc checking my ebay looking at my stuff things i brough ect and i got a thought though my mind saying i should sell all my stuff and get rid of all my items i brought. all becasue i check ebay on works pc. i feel like i am battleing with my mind and brain. at times i feel like taking my brain out and buying a new one lol how do other people act v the thoughts though ocd

I have try nhs for help did not feel it work i am on Citalopram 20 mg but feel i need more.

Hi Daveuk

Have you had CBT or exposure therapy? A lot of the way to deal with OCD is to ignore the thoughts, don't give them the time of day, don't even try to reasure yourself, I know it's hard to sit with the anxiety however it is one of the only ways to deal with OCD. The more attention you give the OCD the bigger it becomes, give it a go :)

x

hi how are you

I had cbt though the nhs but I feel did not help me. I am learning to ignore the thoughts but so hard. I did ignore one yesterday and it does not seem that strong.

thankyou :original: the Citalopram 20 mg helps but I feel I need a higher dose.

How long have you been on the meds? Maybe they've not fully kicked in yet? I had some CBT with the NHS a few years ago- it didn't help very much. I was fortunate to be able to afford to go to a private therapist. It took a few tries with different ones but the last one was an enormous help. CBT does work- but the right therapist is so important and this can be tricky through the NHS because it's difficult to be selective. I'm not saying that any of them aren't good- but in my experience the relationship with your therapist is a personal thing. There isn't a one size fits all relationship.

Hang in there buddy.

Hi Binxy I been on the meds about 9 weeks each day different for me one day I am fine next I feel down.. may I ask how do you deal with your ocd?

Cheers david

Edited by daveuk

Hi David,

It might take a little longer for the meds to have full effect.

I'm not coping very well at the moment but have been doing OK for the last year and a half. I find distraction helps a bit when I get initial thoughts- work keeps me busy. It's the evenings, weekends and first thing in the morning when it's the worse because I will sit and ruminate without even realising I'm doing it. I sometimes ruminate/worry/analyse/try to remember- decide everything is OK and can relax, but then I need to do it again to be sure. That's the way that reassurance works for OCDers- a little bit is never enough and it reinforces the problem. It's important to recognise when I'm doing something I shouldn't and stop, but the compulsion can be so strong sometimes.

Keep pushing Dave- I hope you find a bit of peace soon.

Binx