Boyfriend asking questions about my intrusive thoughts

Guest PalaeontologyLover

Guest PalaeontologyLover

ive started a relationship with a boy and he's amazing and he cares about me so I've told him about my ocd and tried to explain the thoughts to him and why ocd is so troubling, he doesn't really understand ocd and pictures it as the stereotype but he is trying to understand. I was really down the other day because the thoughts were coming really repetitively and he asked "I don't get what thoughts have to do with ocd" so I explained intrusive thoughts to him and what I get and he is being so supportive but I don't really think he understands it. He also keeps asking about the thoughts and I find it very difficult to talk about and I don't really know how to put it into words; I told him to google the types of thoughts I have and now he's asking things like if I ever have violent thoughts about him and stuff and asking if I'd ever act on them and stuff, how can I explain to him that I would never ever act on them? How do I explain the thoughts? How do I get him to understand intrusive thoughts in general? Can someone offer me help?

What about getting him to peruse some of the material on the main OCD UK website? It's written in pretty plain English and there is information there for loved ones.

I can understand that you don't want to get into too much detail with him. I guess you need to get him enough information that he feels comfortable with it.

Guest PalaeontologyLover

I don't know what he's already looked at but I'll suggest it. He has been looking at stuff online I just don't know what. It's very difficult to explain what I go through to people who aren't going through it. I just want to be able to make people realise the severity of the thoughts and that I in no way enjoy them and they're no way a fantasy or like im worried he thinks liek if we argue or something that I'll fantasise about being violent towards him or something. I want people to understand how it feels

Like polarbear says, show him some of the info on this website.

You may need to be patient with him, but if he's like you say, he'll soon come to understand what you're going through :original: