derealisation

Guest fighters

Guest fighters

Hi everybody,

Im a new member (member number 3,000 woo!), aged 16 and have had OCD for 5-6 years

My OCD is 'neutralising' objects, like when I touch and object with my right or left hand, I have to touch it agian in a right-left-left-right motion, and thats everything I touch which can be VERY annoying, I also feel that I'm hurting someones feeling when I do something against there advice, and I worry constantly about it. I also suffer from derealisation when I get anxious and whenever it feels like it, does anybody else suffer from this?

Also, Im wondering if anybody knows if loss of memory or lack of understanding of simple tasks is connected to OCD or if this is something else, Im getting really worried about it because I have my GCSE's coming up and I can't remember any of my revision when I go in. Another example is that I forget simple words like 'pillow' or 'school', I'm trying to find the word in my head when I want to say it, but i end up playing charades trying to get the word out that i want to say. Its really frustrating and it happens about 4-5 times a day.

The derealisation is weird, if Im lying or sitting down my eyes just rush forward and seem to get fixed on an object and when i try to get up i dont feel dizzy but just 'not there' in my body or somebody else is controlling me. If Im standing up sounds around me sound far away and i just go in a weird third person state. If anyone else suffers from this or if anyone knows whats happening to me please reply.

Thankyou!

Hi Fighters and :welcome: to the board

I'm sure that by reading around the threads you'll find that we have lots of members with similar neutralising behaviours and who suffer from feelings of derealisation/depersonalisation, if you type it in the search facility it should take you to other threads where sufferers explain their feelings.

Please also have a look around our HOME PAGE as there's some really useful information on there.

Have you had a formal diagnosis or seen your GP about the OCD and have you been given any treatment to date. It seems an obvious statement to make :blushing: but in order to gain control over our behaviours we have to start working towards limiting and eventually stopping the rituals, hopefully your doctor should be able to refer you to a behavioural therapist for CBT and may possibly recommend medication if you felt happy with that.

I hope you find the forum helpful, I know you will receive lots of support.

Look forward to hearing from you

Caramoole :)

Hi

and welcome to the forum!!

my husband is the sufferer, and he has had derealisation and depersonalisation for the last seven weeks, which has hit him very hard..so i understand and know a bit about this severe side effect of ocd.

there are other people on the forum that have suffered derealisation also,

take care

Melissa xxx

Guest fighters

Hi and thankyou evrybody, yes i have been diagnosed with OCD, Socal Anxiety Disorder, and have had Derealisation for a while mostly when Im getting anxious but some just at the spur of the moment, Im really unsure if I should take medication because I dont know what to take and what the possible side effects can be.

Hi welcome to the forums, as in your last post,you are worried about taking meds and what side effects you will have, this is typical anxiety, making you worry and doubt about them . Most meds that are prescribed for ocd are pretty safe, otherwise they would not precribe them.

My other suggestion is try not to read the leaflets that come with meds, as the "side effecs" section can make you feel even more anxious and doubtful.

If you do decide to take meds, remember that they take a while to kick in (sometimes 4 weeks or longer) but normally after 2 weeks you will start

to feel better, try not worry to much, and once you get the anxiety under control, life will get better.

Hope this helps,legend

Guest Spindizzy

I've had depersonalisation and derealisation for months now; it's an extremely peculiar and frightening feeling, though I cope with it much better now... used to worry constantly that it was the sign of impending psychosis etc!! It's just very scary and weird... I used to feel disconnected from myself, everything looked strange and unreal, my notion of the past & future felt very distorted and out of whack, etc etc. Anyway, it's really nothing to be concerned about and the only way it'll ever go away is if you acknowledge it's presence and remember that it is COMPLETELY HARMLESS!

Guest fighters

How long do your episodes last, mine only last for at most 15-20 minutes to just 30 seconds? I feel like Im in a dream and someone else is carrying out my actions for me, it helps me when I play rugby though! Im unstoppable then!

Thankyou,

fighters

Guest Spindizzy

I have generalised anxiety too, which I've had ever since having a panic attack after smoking some weed many months ago... it's kinda on-off I find, for me I'm not sure that it ever really goes away, sometime it just feels more pronounced, you know?? I might be wrong, I've felt weird for so long that I've forgotten what 'normal' felt like!!! But usually if I have a panic attack I can have really bad DP/DR for days afterwards, and sometimes it seems to just come up outta nowhere. Anyway you should be able to learn to manage it pretty well if you have such short 'spells' of it... I know how indescribably weird it feels, but if you distract yourself and don't dwell on it/obsess over it then it will pass.

Have a look at these sites too:

http://www.dpmanual.com/

http://www.dpselfhelp.com/

Guest fighters

Another thing, Im going on a school trip to the battlegrounds of France and Belgium and I really want to go, but I feel that my Disorders will stop me from enjoying it and stopping me do the the things there. Not many of my friends are going and I don't where I'll be in the rooms, Im getting worked up about it, has anybody been in a simila situation and if you have what helped you to keep the Disorders out of the way on holiday.

Thankyou,

fighters