Hi all,

Yesterday I have read on the internet that EFT (emotional freedom technique) can cure you of OCD in a very short time. I personaly don't believe that, but here is the problem. I am now constantly ruminating about it, what if it works and I won't try it. This is a technique when you tap certain points in your body, and you repeat a certain statement. My anxiety is really high, because I now think that I will never get better if I don't use EFT, but I am very afraid of it because I have read on some forums, that is actually can make things worse for some people. What should I do? Should I stay away from this, and continue my exposure and 4 steps? Oh and one more thing, the last few days I am having derealisation fealings again, I feel like I don't feel my arms... It happens to me when I am anxious. Is that a normal symptom of anxiety?

Tnx for your answers.

Yesterday I have read on the internet that EFT (emotional freedom technique) can cure you of OCD in a very short time. I personaly don't believe that, but here is the problem. I am now constantly ruminating about it, what if it works and I won't try it.

Hi Onix,

Lots of threads on the subject Onix, if you use the search facility and you will find more info and discussions on the subject. what I would say is if you feel so worried about not trying it then try it if you feel you want to, but EFT is not a treatment recommended for OCD, as I say if you search OCD forums you will find lots of mentions of it, hardly anybody saying it cured them of OCD. There really is no scientific basis for it, and the tapping could become another compulsion if you're not careful.

Like I say, don't let my scepticism put you off trying it.

Ashley.

Hey Ashley :)

Thank you for your reply, it helps. I am a strong believer in cbt and erp treatment. And 4 steps has also helped me alot. I really don't want to try it, because I think that EFT will make my OCD go sky high, because I am afraid that it could hurt me instead of help me. So for now I think the best thing for me to do is to continue the work I have been doing, exposing myself and using the 4 steps. I have really made some progress, and I think that I can get alot better if I continue with my current strategies. So thanks again for replying, I really needed some experienced opinion.

I would agree Onix, if you're having success with your existing treatment then it is not a good idea to start something else (regardless of what that may be). If you need to later you can always revisit alternatives like EFT.

Hi onix,i went to see a herbalist,who taught me how to do eft.You have to tap several different places on your face for so long,and repeat several times things like affirmations etc.The tapping is supposed to help them be accepted by your brain.I forget how exactly.In my experience,i think the affirmations helped me,and think they can help u to regain trust in yourself and build up your self esteem,often lacking in people with ocd.But i dont know how it could treat ocd.It didnt make my ocd any worse though.I saw a programme on it also once,where it was used to help treat people with all kinds of issues,mainly things like addictions,where it was used to help people give up smoking,with great success.My advice would be to go to a reputable eft practitioner,but also to do cbt to help ur ocd.

Hey Ashley :)

Thank you for your reply, it helps. I am a strong believer in cbt and erp treatment. And 4 steps has also helped me alot. I really don't want to try it, because I think that EFT will make my OCD go sky high, because I am afraid that it could hurt me instead of help me. So for now I think the best thing for me to do is to continue the work I have been doing, exposing myself and using the 4 steps. I have really made some progress, and I think that I can get alot better if I continue with my current strategies. So thanks again for replying, I really needed some experienced opinion.

Guest Wombat142
I am very afraid of EFT because I have read on some forums, that is actually can make things worse for some people.

Onix, I'm afraid that might have been me. (On the OCDAction forum). EFT involves tapping points on your body in a particular sequence. What worried me was that this sequence of tapping sounded a bit like a standard tapping compulsion. I thought that if you did it too much it might develop into an actual compulsion. Revisiting this idea, I'm not entirely sure that it makes sense, but I'm also not entirely sure that it doesn't. Ashley seems to have had the same idea. Obviously you'll have to make your own mind up about this one.

What I AM sure of is that you should go on doing CBT as well, as you are lucky enough to be suitable for it. I notice Emma.C's therapist has started using EFT with her instead of CBT. I think this is silly. Why not do both? After all the EFT doesn't take up much time.

I must admit that I have seen one person on another forum who says she tried EFT and it didn't work. And I haven't seen anyone who said it did work.

One last thing, you heard that EFT stands for Emotional Freedom Technique, I heard that it stands for Emotional Field Therapy. I wonder if either of these is right?!

Good luck with the CBT, anyway,

Wombat142.

Guest Jennikat

As far as I'm aware it's emotional freedom. :)

I was taught EFT as a way of stopping my compulsions (specifically having my pens lined up). It really didn't work, to be honest it actually makes me feel slightly guilty every time I put my pens facing the same way.

HOWEVER - when I'm having really bad thoughts, it does help clear my head (even if nothing more than a distraction) so I used it for that a few times. I don't think my thoughts were OCD (though they did cause anxiety) but EFT did help that, and I haven't had thoughts in a month or two now.

Basically, if you feel it may help - try it - if you think it will make things worse - don't try it. :)

Guest Quietly Clean

Hi all

I'd just like to add that I also went to a therapist who recommended EFT and it really did not work for me either and it concerned me that the tapping would just become a new compulsion for me. I've now been treated for my OCD with CBT and this has had far better results than EFT ... i would say i am well on the road to recovery!

Good luck all :)