Cost of private treatment...

Guest lcraig

Guest lcraig

Hello. I've had OCD all my life but for the past 10 years have been suffering from severe OCD relating to sexual orientation. I'm 26 years old. I'm in the Greater Manchester area. The therapist I emailed (who seemed to be well qualified) said he had never heard of obsessions relating to sexual orientation, which seemed unusual. He also said he charged £200 per hour, which seemed incredibly expensive. I can probably afford between £50-100 per session. Does anybody know of any therapists in the Greater Manchester area with expertise treating OCD?

Last year, when I attempted suicide, it took months for me to see a therapist on the NHS and they had no training in CBT and had never treated pure O. Although a nice person, they seemed out of the depth. The therapist told me that I probably knew more about OCD than them, which wasn't very reassuring. I know a lot about OCD, having read about it widely, but I need help with a qualified therapist in putting a treatment plan together. I want to go private due to my bad experience with the NHS and I need to be treated soon, before this problem gets any worse. Can anybody suggest any therapists?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Hi £200 pound an hour does seem like an awful lot. It is really important you get a therapist that has experience with treating ocd. There is a great section on the main ocd uk website giving info on finding a therapist if you want to take a look. Let us know if it helps.

Hi lcraig,

There is a great CBT therapy centre in New York that I have been going to via Skype. They specialize in Pure O and one of their specialities is with sexual orientation OCD. They have several therapists there that charge on a sliding scale.

Here is the website if you'd like to check it out http://www.cognitivebehavioralcenter.com/

I'd also really recommend this article written by the head of the centre.

http://www.ocdonline.com/#!i-think-it-moved/c1n7y