Hello

Guest Kelpie

Guest Kelpie

Please excuse me if I have the wrong forum for this.

I'm 37 and have OCD. It started as a child and has gone through varying states of severity and annoyance. It became much more of a problem a few years back where it started to affect me and my daily life much more, it wasn't as easily hideable.

I am currently having exposure therapy and it is TOUGH. I am starting to buckle under the strain.

Am wondering if anyone else is experienced with this, past or present.

Any advice.

Also, does anyone know if there is a helpline I can call? I looked on the main site but kept seeing online support but no helpline number, unless I am just so anxious I am not looking properly, which is quite likely.

Anyway, hello :)

Hi kelpie welcome to the forum. I am currently using exposures to overcome ocd it is one of the hardest things to do so dont feel too down about feeling the pressure. You are not alone.

I try to find pleasure in anything small I can enjoy. Music, reading or anything that brings a laugh or smile. You can use the forum for support whenever you need to chat. There is a number of a support line on the website under contact ocduk.

Guest nervous

Hi Kelpie, welcome to the forum. Yes, exposure therapy is really tough and becoming good at it does not happen over night so please be patient and trust that with the right help and time you can make great progress. I am still a sufferer but I have made really big improvements and I continue to work on it every day. ERP by it's definition sounds simple enough but the "skill" that it takes to become proficient at it is not. It takes lots and lots of practice and learning how to develop yourself to cope with doubt.

Gemma gives some great advice and the forum is a great place to get some support from many knowledgeable people who have been where you are.

Guest Kelpie

Thank you both.

Yes, ERP is hard work. I am struggling with the guy that comes to my home. It is twice a week at home and once with psychologist in the clinic. I am not the most comfortable with men at the best of times and I'm not sure if it is trauma based or intrusive thought or a mix of both but the most horrid things come into my head when it is just me and him. Once a week a lass (psychology student) comes with him and that is much easier, but once a week it is just the guy. I would rather it was just her but I said I would do my best with managing with guy.

Partly the reason I have close to quitting, I struggled with the guy on Wednesday. Thoughts and just feeling uncomfortable. He was also clearly in a rush as he kept encouraging me to do the task and normally they just wait for me to do it when I can, no encouragement, no prompting. I ended up doing it out of pure frustration :(

*sigh* It is so hard. My anxiety is peaking hgh every day, much more than before.