Serotonin Rush

Hi, I have obsessive thoughts - comparatively mild form of it I suppose but it has been driving me nuts the last week or two. This afternoon I went to see a show (The Blue Man Group) in the West End, I was enjoying it but still ruminating. Then at the end there was a part of the show which was such fun that I clearly felt the rush of serotonin into my brain. My obsessive thoughts stopped.

I don't suppose it will last, but it did bring home to me how chemically-oriented most of these thoughts are.

Guest Sammyhostie

Defo,

OCD is clinically proven to be due to and exacerbated by low levels of serotonin. Why cant they just give us a shot a month?!

Ive learnt a lot about brain chemistry in CBT, our brain lock bit of the brain is closely linked to the emotional bit, hence why it feels so real.

Not very scientific but Brain Lock describes it better!

Stay strong hun, so glad you enjoyed your night out.

Guest emmalou

ive been told bannanas contain natural seretonin any body else heard of this if they could find different foods containing seretonin it would be great dont you think

Guest postalpostie

doing exercise is meant to give a serotonin rush.

i was told today at the gym by a personal trainer that the rush lessens after about a day after training.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulstriker

Hello all!

I've been thinking about this for a while.

There are actually foods that we can eat that can help with our moods. I am reading a book called 'Psycho-Nutrition -How to control your mood with foods' by William Vayda at the moment. I would certainly recommed it.

It has a lot about the importance vitamin B6 in the synthesis of serotonin, and also says that the brain makes serotonin from a common amino acid called tryptophan. It then goes on to list foods that contain tryptophan:

alfalfa

baked beans

beef

beet

broccoli

brussel sprouts (yuk!)

carrot

cauliflower

celery

chicken

chive

cottage cheese

egg

endive

fennel

fish

milk

nuts

soya bean

spinach

sweet potato

turkey

turnip

watercress

There is a lot more listed in the book.

Unfortunatly, I've not tried putting any of the above into practice yet as a lot of my OCD is linked to food intake (!!) so I don't know if there are any benefits, but I guess anything is worth a try!

I hope that helps!

Take care

Kathryn

xxxxxxx

I think this thread interesting.... as i know i have "s.A.D" also... and had to buy a light box... which i dont use much now...only got last year... anyway... trying st.johns wort b4 i may HAVE to go on this cipralex...(hope not) :yucky: