fish oil

Guest shjames

Guest shjames

Hi,

I just read an interessting study examining the effects of fish oil on depression. According to the study (done at Harvard), 69% of the participants experienced a 50% reduction in their depressive symptoms. I know it's listed in the alternative treatment area of this forum, but has anyone ever actually tried it? If so, does it work? I would be curious to see if the same results would hold true for anxiety disorders as well, since similar treatments (SSRIs) are used to treat both depression and anxiety.

My daughter will probably hate me, but I think I'll add fish oil to her diet since we never eat fish and as a nutritional supplement it won't hurt any of us. Whether or not it helps OCD is another matter, but it can't hurt to have better nutrition.

Shelly

Hi Shelly

You might find these earlier threads useful for now:

http://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?showtop...92&hl=fish+oils

http://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?showtop...81&hl=fish+oils

Also this page on the OCD-UK website.

Fish oils may have other benefits too, so as you say it shouldn't hurt to try provided the dosage is appropriate for children. :original:

Best wishes

Rose

I have been taking Citalopram prescribed from my GP and also for the past 4 weeks i have started taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules too (not cheap to buy) but i have noticed a big improvement in my self, in that i am more cheerful and also i feel stronger mentally which is obviously helping my OCD a lot. I spoke to my mental health nurse yesterday who agreed that they are helping me. :original:

Edited by Guest

i tried it but it made me feel sick althoughit helped my illness.

Flaxseed oil is excellent for depression and anxiety. You can take it in capsule form or liquid form. You can also put linseed's in your cereal. There tiny abd you don't taste them, obviously they don't have as good an effect as the liquid though.

Edited by Guest
Guest shjames

Thanks so much for the replies and the links.

At first I wasn't sure about the fish oil, but since it's a nutritional supplement with no apparent side effects, it looks like my daughter will have to grin and bear it :a1_cheesygrin: .

Shelly

I went on a diet once of just nuts, oily fish and salads - I cut out all red meat and it did feel like someone had scrubbed the inside of my head with a bogbrush and I felt brilliant.

I ate smoked mackrell everyday, plus tuna, salmon blah blah yadda yadda

maybe u should try that ?

What are the veggie equivalents - the Omega 3, 6 and 9? I might try them.

Hi Rachie,

the ones i got were made by Vertese, and are primarily flaxseed oil - i picked them up at Holland and Barrett in Bolton a while back, but there's also a few places that sell 'em online if you do a google on 'Vertese'..

HTH!

David

On the subject of supplements - what the hell is glucosamine, what does it do for you and why is it everywhere I look in Boots, Holland and Barrett, etc?!? :a1_cheesygrin:

er, it's an anagram of clean soil, mug... :wink:

click here for the Wikipedia definition

from what i can see it mainly affects cartilage rather than anything else, and is recommended for joint problems.

HTH!

D

(edit: interestingly enough, it's also one of the few words i know in the english language that uses each vowel once :nerd: :lamo: )

Edited by Guest

My mom makes me take fish oils >.> ok I want to now because I heard they help prevent high cholestral and arthritus (I have a paranoia I have the latter at 17, lol)... but mentally I dont feel the slightest bit different... then again I'm on OCD and ADD meds already, so maybe my brain is as full as it can be, lol...

Guest FobicFairy

Hi Folks

Fish oil tablets are quite expensive, but the Holland and Barrett website have a good deal at the moment for anyone who wants to try them, I am very tempted because I really dislike eating fish. I get very bad depression when I get PMT so am hoping it will help with that, as well as all the other health benefits.

Here is the info from the Holland and Barrett website:

Omega 3-6-9

Omega 3,6 and 9 are the 'good' fats needed for many different functions within the body. Many of these fatty acids are essential - meaning that the body needs them but cannot make them, so they must be obtained from the diet. The three oils in this product are Starflower Oil, Flaxseed Oil and Fish Oil.

60 tablets are £9.99

120 are usually £17.99 but they are currently only £8.99.

Weblink http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/

I read an interesting link on the bbc website about a programme where a child who was struggling at school made great progress whilst taking omega 3 oils.

Maybe it will help me out at the pub quiz as well :wink:

FF

My child had great difficulty speaking, learning two languages at the same time. I started giving him Omega-3 fish oil from Eye-Q and after a couple of months he started picking up both languages!

The hubbie's slagging me for blaming the fish oil, but could it be such a coincidence, 3 years of trying to make the child speak, give him the oil and almost straight away he comes out with words and phrases I never heard from him!

In two years time he has fluent Dutch, English and learns Irish in school!

I did read though that fish oil could affect your immune system?

This could be one of the reasons for his constant colds.

I'd like to take it myself, but initially you have to take a very high dose for three months, to make your brain adjusting to it or something. So it's quite costly for a start.

The child takes the fluid form with vanilla flavour, one spoonful every morning, with a bit of muesli in it, for the taste. He calls it his "sweet", so it can't be that bad!

I'm all for this fish oil!

:baby: :baby:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ellie1962

Hi,

I just read an interessting study examining the effects of fish oil on depression. According to the study (done at Harvard), 69% of the participants experienced a 50% reduction in their depressive symptoms. I know it's listed in the alternative treatment area of this forum, but has anyone ever actually tried it? If so, does it work? I would be curious to see if the same results would hold true for anxiety disorders as well, since similar treatments (SSRIs) are used to treat both depression and anxiety.

My daughter will probably hate me, but I think I'll add fish oil to her diet since we never eat fish and as a nutritional supplement it won't hurt any of us. Whether or not it helps OCD is another matter, but it can't hurt to have better nutrition.

Shelly

hi shelly just read your message will defo give these a go ive just text my hubby to get some its worth a try thanks lilac

Guest cheesestring

I bought some Omega-3 capsules from Boots a couple of weeks ago and after initially thinking I was feeling better I am now feeling worse than I have in ages. Not that I'm saying they have caused this, more that they haven't helped much. What further benefits are there from taking the 6 and 9 oils too?