Hello people

Guest Aaron

Hi,

I'm Aaron and I have OCD and anxiety, glad I came across this forum.

I have had this for years and I am trying to learn as much as possible to try and put the pieces of my jigsaw together.

:original:

Guest Readyforchange

Hi Aaron, I joined too just a few days ago as I have OCD and GAD. Hope you find what you are looking for and all the best for the journey ahead!

Cheers for the welcomes :original:

Hello. Learning about OCD is a good step towards working out how to beat it. What are you doing to try to over come your OCD?

Thanks.

Before... not much I just tried to get by, its only now i'm starting to understand how much of a state my head was in with this and other things and I didn't recognize the signs and maybe I just didn't want to see it.

I went to the doctor which was the first step and he wants me to go on CBT but I haven't agreed yet as I find it difficult to open up to people and talk about things and I had a meeting with a mental health nurse years ago and the experience put me off and it didn't do anything for me but now I am on here to learn about it.

Sorry you had a bad experience with mental health services. It's worth giving it another go, don't let one person ruin your chance of getting better.

Believe me I totally agree with you about finding it hard to talk to people. It winds me up when people assume that women find it easy to talk about problems and stuff. I put up with pretty severe OCD for 23 years before telling anyone. Not that I'm proud of that - it was a big mistake. I really wish I'd got help sooner. Take my advice and give CBT a go.

Sorry you had a bad experience with mental health services. It's worth giving it another go, don't let one person ruin your chance of getting better.

Believe me I totally agree with you about finding it hard to talk to people. It winds me up when people assume that women find it easy to talk about problems and stuff. I put up with pretty severe OCD for 23 years before telling anyone. Not that I'm proud of that - it was a big mistake. I really wish I'd got help sooner. Take my advice and give CBT a go.

Thanks for the advice, I have an appointment at the doc's soon so I will have a chat with him about it.

Sounds like you have had a rough time yourself.

I do feel strongly about people getting help as I don't want anybody to make the same mistake I did. I was made to feel so ashamed for having OCD when I was 11 that I kept it to myself for 23 years. In all that time I had very few friends and pushed everyone away as I was terrified of people finding out my big secret. If I can (eventually) start to talk about it, so can you.