sertraline

Guest messihead

Guest messihead

Hey. Thank you for taking the time to reply. What dosage are you currently taking? In what ways do you find they benefit you? And also do you think within 6 weeks I may notice a small difference?

Guest daisymoo

Im on the strongest strength u can take. I think at six weeks maybe a little change. I just feel a lot like my old self. Ocd still pops its head up time to time but I can let it pass x

Hi . Sertraline 50mg.

For me this does not take away ocd , but the anxiety passes quicker. So i would anticipate CBT on this drug might be productive.

However , I seem to be having more issues with intrusive thoughts since being on Sertraline and the side effect of a higher doses were too much for me - and I'm quite a tough cookie !!!!!!

Guest nervous

I was on it 20 years ago but couldn't handle it, I got night sweats really bad, funny cause as long as I was awake I was fine but as soon as I fell asleep it would start. Couldn't tell you if it would of worked for me if I was on it long enough.

The side effects I had where stomach pains and.....hmmm you know not vomiting the over end..... apart from that I did experience sleepiness , feeling dizzy and a strange "relaxed" feeling.

I have never taken them long enough to experience any positive effects. I don't know how much the medication would help me if I did take it for a long time.

I am using sertraline as called zoloft ...

I am considering using this medication, but I am wanting a medication to help with reducing intrusions. Some say it does some say it doesn't - jury is out.

Many seems to say it takes a long time to be effective,and I already have stomach problems due to the anxiety response.

Guest messihead

Yea I heard it helps ocd sufferers well in terms of intrusions so I'm hoping this with me that's why I started it. My tummy was dodgy this morning but it has passed. I would do anything for the intrusive thoughts to subside. I feel like already I notice me at times being able to just switch of but I don't know if this is more a psychological thing. As when I think of the thought I still feel I have to get checked out

My plan is to get feeling more in control physically and mentally via the therapist I am currently seeing - then start the tablets and see how I get on. People say the original side effects do ease off with time.

Edited by taurean

You can. They usually take the form of phrases or headlines or book titles or film titles that my brain spots and obsesses on - they usually suggest a harmful theme. They often then whirr and whirr round in a sort of brainlock.

They can be images too.

The flavour of the OCD gravy doesn't matter as such, whether its harm or what - its always something I think that is abhorrent to us/against our core values or we are really uncomfortable about it so don't want the thoughts..

The "thought loop" thing isn't that common but it's incredibly difficult to cope with.

Guest nicolam381318

I didn't find that Sertraline helped with the OCD symptoms at all but like others have said, it did reduce the anxiety and mood-related effects. In fact, I was only diagnosed with OCD after a good year on Sertraline when that side of things was getting gradually worse. I started on them really slowly and I didn't have too many side effects. I only ever took up to 50 mg though (maybe they would have had more an effect at a higher dose). My GP has suggested that I might want to consider starting them again actually, together with an anti-emetic to help with the GI side effects (I have a major fear of vomiting). I should probably mention that the decision to start them the first time round was based on the fact that I was breast feeding. It's the SSRI with the lowest concentration in breast milk so the choice in my case wasn't based around efficacy per se.