Try accessing via a mobile (I am on mine on the bed exhausted after trimming hedges and buddleia in the front garden).

Or a different internet servics provider in case the issue is the source service.I use both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 11 on my laptop ; Chrome is my preference, but I use BTmail via explorer for e-mail.

Mmmmhhhh.

I have had problems signing in in some places using the data service on my phone (02 network).

So I switch off data, switch on wifi and see if there is a BT wifi hotspot I can connect to.

The bonus if there is is that the wifi is much faster than the data service and a more resilent link. I have learned when making a post from the phone its best to post then go back in and correct the spellings under edit.Using the mobile version doesn't seem to save text such that you can go in again and recover saved input, if the link breaks.

Edited by taurean

I know the topography so understand.

Maybe that ( rural locale and signal strength) is the problem.For quite some time I struggled to get a strong signal when using the DAB converter in the car.

Now more sland more cars have DAB installed when built, the transmission power seems to havs been increased and I get a really good signal.

Hi Caramoole,

I think I have worked this out, with a bit of help from a story on page 3 of the Daily Mail today.

This suggests that many families may not be getting their promised broadband speeds, so are getting break-ups in transmission on internet, e-mails and video streaming services. The story suggests this may be an especial problem during evening peak use periods, or when other family members are also using the system.

In addition to this, my data link into the forums via the mobile phone remains poor. There are major problems in sign ing in or out as a forum member, it just won't do it. I can do it ia my broadband and BT wifi hotspots, but not via the 02 data service.

It may well be that our site needs a lot of data or fast broadband speed, which could be the reason for this..

So it appears I was active on the forum from the mobile all morning; in fact i couldn't log out of the forums!! Also when online via the mobile and through 02 data, it takes a long time to register a post. Not so via my BT wifi.

Edited by taurean

Hi taurean about signing in or out when on a mobile, I use chrome on my mobile and if you have data savings on in the settings you can't sign in to the forum. So if I ever want to sign in I have to turn it off just in case this was part of the problem you were having.

Well the mobile is a 2.5 year old Huwaei android phone which uses google via the Tesco (02) network, and the android gingerbread - an early android platform. .

I couldn't find anything in the browser settings that corresponded to data savings, with on or off. I played with one or two settings but that didn't make any difference.

Via wifi I can log in, via data I can't. I get an error message up "Data connectivity problem - the server failed to communicate"

I wonder if it is the data sync settings?. I want those on so I can be notified when I receive a googlemail e-mail on that e-mail account though.

For the moment I will only look to log in when I can use a BT wifi hotspot.

I am not experiencing difficulties using wifi on the laptop either, just the data on the mobile.

But I can also say that the connection is not robust on the mobile - as Caramoole found - and if I don't post a response or topic, then go in and correct it by edit, if the transmission breaks I lose my post - it doesn't save.

Its a shame it wasn't that issue because that would have been easy to change. I dont think having data sync on your phone will be causing it. I have problems with mobile data too and my phone is pretty up to date android wise. I always copy any post I write before posting so if I lose it I can just paste it back in. Its really frustrating though.

I have solved the problem!

For some reason the phone had lost its connection to the network service. I spotted that where it usually displayed TESCO was blank, and it was displaying " no service". I decided the good old method, a reboot, was required.

I switched off, took the battery out, then the SIM card, reinserted the SIM card firmly, put the battery back, the cover back. Switched on - it found the network, displayed TESCO.

When I switched on data, accessed the OCD-UK forum site then sought to log in it let me.

Eureka! !!!!!!!!

Edited by taurean
  • 2 weeks later...

Aha spoke too soon. Mobile data access again won't let me login to the forum..

Went in the mobiel shop, and they said I need to call the network. So I'll be doing that but not till I have been up to my Mum-in-law's flat.

i can still log-in to the forum on the mobile via BT wifi hotspots and the home wifi modem meanwhile.