STI tests and OCD

Guest stuckinmyhead

Guest stuckinmyhead

So on Tuesday I got the shock of my life when I visited the gum clinic for a check up. I was going purely because is not been in 12 months and since then had only had a chlamedia swap at the doctors. I'm not proud that last year and enjoyed a lot of male attention and was stupid to never use protection. I don't know what was wrong with me but I was so consumed with my ocd getting in short term relationships was one of the only things that brought me some relief from day to day ocd battles. So I had the tests and also showed the doctor three white spots on my vulva which I had found on Tuesday when I had a quick look before I went to the clinic. I panicked but knew they'd put my mind at rest that day like they always have in the past when Iv had a lump. I was in utter shock when the doctor said "they could be warts" but said in the next sentence "I'm not convinced or worried" he froze them and said if they are cysts they would still respond to freezing and they have gone now but there's a few on the other side I missed and he did. Same type of spots. Iv booked an appointment with my go for a second opinion on Tuesday. Iv been a wreck since Tuesday- not been to work, can't stop crying, feel dirty and disgusting. If it is warts I don't know how I'm going to get through this. I'm in a pretty new relationship which I was doubting anyway before all this. Now I feel like if I don't stay with him no one else will ever want me?! You can't work out who gave it you, plus the worst thing is you can't even be sure you've shed the virus ever as there's no way to check. Is this the worst possible diagnosis for an ocd sufferer? I'm completely mortified and feel like life will never be the same for me ever again. Please help me guys. S x

plus the worst thing is you can't even be sure you've shed the virus ever as there's no way to check. Is this the worst possible diagnosis for an ocd sufferer?

It's just not a good diagnosis full-stop and the biggest lesson to be learned are the dangers of unprotected sex. Sadly, there's not a lot that can be done to undo the problem, it has to be dealt with somehow. From an OCD point of view you have to put the problem into perspective and don't allow the fear to become over-inflated and out of proportion.

Guest stuckinmyhead

Yes it might and most do clear the body themselves but you'll never know when or if. Going to have to see if my gp can give me some clarification on it and help me. I'm just so so sad devastated in fact I can't believe this is happening to me.

Guest stuckinmyhead

Yes it might and most do clear the body themselves but you'll never know when or if. Going to have to see if my gp can give me some clarification on it and help me. I'm just so so sad devastated in fact I can't believe this is happening to me.

Over 3 quarters of women have the HPV virus at some point in their lifetime. You can have it for quite a while before any symptoms show and in 9 out of 10 cases your body flushes out the virus within a short time.

If it helps, I developed the virus and since then have been in a long term relationship (10 year) with no reoccurance. Try not to worry, it's very common and the doctors know what they are doing.

Guest stuckinmyhead

Starbuck- did you have an outbreak of warts? Currently I'm not coping very well and getting my hopes up that my gp will come up with another diagnosis when in fact what else wart like could be next to the vaginal opening. I know I probably just need to face the facts that it probably is hpv. How do you deal with that and ocd? As hpv has no certainty of anything- when it will go, if it will go, whether u have warts you can't see, whether it will affect a pregnancy. I'm mortified and if things don't work out with my current boyfriend who's been so supportive- no one will ever want to be with me.

Caramoole- I don't know my ocd is feeling like a walk in the park at the moment compared to the depression this is causing me. Debating what sort of life I will have feeling like this.

Stuckinmyhead, your right this is not pleasent, you have sort medical advice and really that's all you can do.

It's natural to be worried, but the excessive worry/ anxiety is OCD. This is no walk in the park!

Go back to doctors ask them to confirm what IF ANY "infection" you have, explain your worries. Then when you have an answer , accept it.

AJ

Edited by AJ45

Yes, after diagnosis and treatment everything went back to normal very quickly. My OCD wasn't as bad back then so I can imagine that having that in the mix makes it worse. I didn't feel great about it obviously but once it was treated (which is the most important thing), I just moved on.

My bf knows that I had HPV and like I said, I've had no problems since and it was about 11 years ago.