Take your own advice

Guest OCDelighted

Guest OCDelighted

We've all been and some of us still are in a very grim place at the moment yet we're all capable of helping each other and providing our fellow sufferers with excellent advice and hope to hold onto. In most cases better advice than that from someone with a fancy degree in psychology which they proudly display above their fire place (No offence to those with a degree in psychology who are also fortunate enough to have a fire place).

Imagine we could take our own advice and apply it to our own problems effectively, why we'd be well on our way to recovery!

It's frustrating to see forum members giving excellent advice on one post only to see the same member seeking reassurance themselves fifteen minutes later (though it's true a lot can change in 15 minutes where OCD's involved).

Forums can provide a fantastic support network, however OCD is tricky and that support can quickly turn into reassurance. Reassurance that we're all happy to give because each and every one of us knows how bad it feels to be caught up in an obsession which might (it will) never end.

We can quite easily become dependent on this reassurance, let's all take our own advice on board.

Guest Tricia

I know what you mean, but although I try to give advice, I'm always careful how I word it, as my own advice for many of my own obsessions has not actually worked for me. Certain approaches are effective most of the time, but there's no guarantees for anyone.

As for reassurance, I know it's counter-productive! It's hard not to offer it, though, when a person seems in a total panic. A dear friend of mine, whom I met on the forum, has recently said she would have committed suicide if I had not given her reassurance, years ago. She doesn't ask for it now, but in the early days I do feel she needed it.

By the way, in my experience, there are occasions where an obsession never ends, despite following all the 'rules'.

Edited by Tricia
Guest OCDelighted

It's true that an obsession may never vanish completely but it's certainly possible to get to a point where it doesn't cause you any anxiety and will become an occasional fleeting thought thus leaving you to get on with your life.

Guest Tricia

Possible for many, obviously, but not all. It can torment as much after 20 years, or more, as it did in the beginning for some people.

This is very true when I have replied to people before my husband says to me how come you can tell others but not do it yourself. I know what is the right thing but it is often hard to do it. I do need to start thinking and doing the same thing as I would tell other people

I think that yes while we can offer advice,like Tricia has said what can work for one person may not work for someone else.

I also agree with reassurrance giving,sometimes i feel that it is needed,i know i am going against the rules,but i feel that it can help someone to get through a very bad time x