Really bad thought, advice please (also experiences with Risperdal)

Guest frazzle

Guest frazzle

Hi

I haven't been on for a long while, my OCD is still there and at the moment its very bad I would love some advice/support?!

I fear I may cause harm without knowing, i.e. knock a small child into a busy road, or bump someone off a bridge etc I stopped driving because of it and I find it hard to get out by myself, I worry I'll cause a road accident by not being careful enough and everyone that passes me I have to look back to 'check ' they're ok, sometimes rewalking my route to check. I also have OCD around my home checking stuff.

At the moment my OCD has latched onto a thought that I bumped a guy holding a baby in the mall, he was standing right on the edge of the balcony onthe upper floor, holding his baby and of course with my ocd I thought 'oh my God what if I bumped him and he dropped the baby over the balcony'! I did walk round again to check the baby and managed to put the thought away, well I suddely remembered it the other day and now I can't get rid of it, I feel sick with fear I've caused death! I can usually disregard these thoughts to a certain extent but this one feels scarily real and when I try to ignore it, I feel guilty like I'm ignoring something real and thats evil!

A while back my psychiatrist wanted me on Risperdal to take along with my Clomipramine 250mg dose, I'm wondering whether to try this but am quite scared, I hada really bad time coming off of Valium years back I know this is different drug so I duno?! Any experiences with Risperdal you guys?

Any advice with help with accepting this thought and not engaging with it, I try but I then feel guilty about ignoring something so potentially terrible!

Thanks guys :)

Edited by frazzle

I'm on risperidone for the past month now, it's helped enormously, I don't know how i would have gotten through the roughest patches without it.

while I can't help you with other advice (i'm very new to OCD) they put me on risperidone almost immediatly, and it's greatly helped. So if I were you i'd give it a try.

Guest Suite Pea

I'm on risperidol too, only mine is for Tourettes, not OCD. It has helped with the tics, but I haven't noticed any difference in the number of OCD thought, rituals, etc. I do find though that it makes me feel tired and cloggy - I've been on it for 4 years now though, and I've got used to the side effects.

Guest sarah1984

Hi Frazzle,

Risperdal/risperidone is an atypical anti-psychotic and belongs to a different group of meds from valium/diazepam which is a benzodiazepine. Valium is highly addictive and should only be prescribed on a short-term basis. First of all, don't let the name put you off - it doesn't mean that your psychiatrist thinks you're psychotic! Anti-psychotics can be used at very low doses to boost the effects of anti-depressants. They are also now being licensed to treat anxiety/depression as well. I've taken seroquel/quetiapine for nearly 18 months now alongside my venlafaxine. At first, I just took 75mg/day for the booster effect but I now take 300mg/day alongside 225mg venlafaxine. 150-300mg is the recommended dose for anxiety/depression while 600-800mg/day is used for schizophrenia/bipolar disorder. I take the extended release version and I take it at night time because it tends to make me sleepy, as Suite Pea found with risperidone. However, I've had no other negative side effects from it and I believe it's had a significant impact on my levels of anxiety and agitation. Here's a link to a really helpful free to download guide on anti-pyschotics by Rethink Mental Illness: http://www.rethink.o...est_medica.html

Edited by sarah1984