Prozac V's Celexa

Guest mothtoaflame

Guest mothtoaflame

Some of you may remember that just over a month ago I started to experiment with coming off my medication - Prozac. Anyhow, I am not coping as well as I thought I would and went back to see my Dr today, who suggested I re-try medication. I mentioned some of the side effects that I didn't like about Prozac .... mainly headaches, change in appetite and sexual dysfunction. I asked if there were any other medications he would suggest ..... and he came up with Celexa. He said it would help more with the anxiety because I have been having a lot of heart palpitations. So he gave me a prescription for that and said to try it for a month.

Anyways, I got back and read the pamphlet and did a little online looking regarding celexa. I have read that it isn't actually FDA approved for the treatment of OCD but it does have a less incidence of sexual dysfuntion.

I guess I am just a little torn between returning to prozac, a drug that I know helps with the ocd or trying something new to help with other aspects and possibly relieve some side effects. Ultimately, I know there is no way of knowing unless I try, but I guess I just wanted to ask what any of your experiences are with celexa.

Thanks,

Karen.

Hi Karen

Havn't had experience of Celexa although what I've read has been reasonably postive. But like yourself, I've been on Prozac and found it awful. To be honest I ended up spending about 2 years going through different SSRI's until I found the right one for me. I think the reality is we all respond in slightly different ways. I found Seroxat to be the best and look at all the controversy over that :dry: . But if it works for you....

Catherine :)

Hi Karen,

I've been taking cipramil (celexa) for a year and have found it to be of great benefit with my OCD where many others have failed miserably. I took it for two years previously though and had to come off for a while because of excess sweating that it caused in my particular case, but can be a side effect! However, I had to start taking it again because of the valuable help it had given me. In all honesty it has been the only meds that has helped me over the last 12-13 years. I have to point out though, it's not to say that it would be the same for you, but that is my experience. Maybe it would be an idea to do what your doctor advised and try it for a month. Worth a try huh?

I hope this has helped a little. Please let me know how you get on with it :dry: !

Love Patsy xx

Guest piratecat

:) ok i need some advice on this to. Catherine i totally agree with - i was on seroxat from the age of 15 to 23 - it really helped both my panic attacks and my ocd. I got changed to Prozac as i felt seroxat wasnt helping as much. I dont think i get on with Prozac - my ocd is daily and frequent - would cipramil be effective for ocd and panic attacks ??????

Hi to everyone :dry:

Hi piratecat,

I used to suffer the most terrible panic attacks along with my OCD. I have been taking cipramil for a good while and I have to say that I have been much better since I started taking it. Panic attack-wise and OCD-wise.

patsy

Hi piratecat,

Yes, it's citalopram that I am taking and have been for a while now. I am also taking flupentixol/fluanxol though, but that's very recent. Citalopram has made the biggest difference with my OCD. Fluanxol is more for my depression at the moment.

I hope you get on well with citalopram. I have to point out that it might not have the same effect on you as it does with me, as you know we all react differently to meds but I really hope it does help you :thumbup: It'd be good to hear how you're doing.

Take care

Patsy xx

Cipramil didn't make me put weight on at all piratecat. I had no problems with it. I did have a huge problem with mirtazapine/zispin though. When I was taking that, I put on almost five stones in two years.

See as far as I know Piratecat, cipramil can make you lose weight as well so there's no telling how it could affect you. Unfortunately, I've been on it for ages and never found I lost weight :blushing: I can tell you it certainly did make me feel worse when I took zispin, but my GP kept me on it for two years :wallbash: