Sex Drive or lack thereof. HELP!

Guest Liv

I've met a boy. A beautiful, thoughtful, caring boy. I have never known anyone so caring and beautiful, I trust him completely. The thing is I have ZERO sex drive. I find him attractive and care about him but there is no sexual energy. There was before we got together and when we first kissed and sometimes there is a little flicker but sex is painful for me, my muscles involuntarily spasm and tighten and I'm on Zoloft (50mg). Can Zoloft impact my sex drive this much?

Apologies for the nature of this question.

Guest faircat

Hi liv,

I feel your pain, I find that most ADs suppress my sex life. It's so frustrating. But there are some out there that don't but it's finding the right balance.

Hi Liv

Unfortunately, many of the SSRI anti-depressants can cause sexual dysfunction. Similarly, anxiety, OCD, depression can also make us feel less inclined towards feeling relaxed and sexy.

sex is painful for me, my muscles involuntarily spasm and tighten

This sounds like a condition called Vaginismus which is an automatic response rather than low libido/lack of desire alone. It's something worth talking to your GP about so that you can investigate both physical and psychological considerations to identify the cause and treatment.

Caramoole :)

Thanks guys, it's nice to be reminded that I'm not broken! Caramoole, yeah I should have mentioned the Vaginismus. I have been to see a gynocologist about it before. Thanks for your information!

Hi. No need to apologise for your question. Millions of women are unable to have sex at some point in their lives. Just like millions of blokes will have problems getting erections occasionally. There's different types of therapy that could help you, including CBT and psychosexual therapy. Did you know also that you can get vaginal dilators? They come in sets of different sizes. Start with the smallest and use it for a certain length of time every day and then work up to bigger sizes. They can really help.

Of course you're not broken. You just have medical conditions that can be overcome.

Guest Lamey21

Hi Liz,

I've been off and on zoloft for many years and yes it does take away your sexual desire and the inability to orgasm. I did find that for me personally I was able to orgasm at 50mg but not on any higher dose. It's most likely the medication and not you and your connection to this lovely boy.

Best of Luck!