I hate this..................really do want out!

I have contamination phobia, with anything I can't see. This is usually radiation, germs,hiv and asbestos.

For months now I've been worrying about asbestos in my house whilst major refurb was going on. I had survey after survey and in the end, like most houses, they found a trace of the less serious type in some artex. This was removed by professionals today. I was so happy.

Tonight I went to the chippy and now I'm convinced a gay persn may have accidentally spit in my eye as he spoke to somebody. If it had blood in it I could catch HIV. I was in such a state when I got back my wife told me to 'man up'.

There are a few cases worldwide of cases with people having hiv passing it on with blood in their mouths in this way but I have no idea if he had hiv, no idea if he had blood in his mouth and no idea if it actually was spray from his spit.

So OCD has got its way again. I get shut of asbestos after test after test, and survey after survey, so now it comes back in another way. :weep:

Edited by inneedofhelp

Stop looking stuff up, acknowledge you are having a huge surge of anxiety, distract yourself with a mindful activity. And stop looking stuff up. I had a 'I've got HIV' fear once, it was terrifying, I completely believed it to be true. When I went and had a test which was negative, I thought I couldn't be happier and my torment was all over. But the very next day a new fear just popped into my head, totally unrelated, which caused me as much torment but lasted many years because there was no test that I could have to see if the fear was true. Keep up with all the techniques we know work, and you can improve how you respond to these triggers.

Edited by Franklin12

Stop looking stuff up, acknowledge you are having a huge surge of anxiety, distract yourself with a mindful activity. And stop looking stuff up. I had a 'I've got HIV' fear once, it was terrifying, I completely believed it to be true. When I went and had a test which was negative, I thought I couldn't be happier and my torment was all over. But the very next day a new fear just popped into my head, totally unrelated, which caused me as much torment but lasted many years because there was no test that I could have to see if the fear was true. Keep up with all the techniques we know work, and you can improve how you respond to these triggers.

Thanks. I know your right. If it wasn't asbestos then it's hiv. Next week it will be something else. Huge spike at the moment.

You two sound just like me.one contamination spike replaces another.cbt really helped me and now i think 'in a while this will be over so ill try not to let it get me down in the mean time' i find this really hard but it helps.