The wrong priorities

Guest gks444

Guest gks444

Does anyone relate to seeming to escalate the smallest things into huge things where as sometimes the biggest things don't seem to be the things that cause the highest anxiety. Today I'm hugely stressing over why I sent a message to an ex that cheated on me; don't even know why I sent it and it won't leave my mind! But then I've been at the hospital all day with my dad and this small thing is like WHY AM I THINKING ABOUT THIS. Overanalysis of past relationships now, not letting go, constant comparisons. I feel terrible because my mind gets preoccupied with things like this; trying to stop but was thinking about sending the message for ages so I sent it then I was thinking about the response. It's like my brain just moves on from thinking of doing/saying one thing and then I get relief once I've said it then it's found something else before I know it. I feel like I can't rationalise anything. My head hurts. Been at the hospital all day with my dad and my head was saying it's just because you don't want to go to work. I feel like two people at times at war with each other in my mind. I need a switch!

Anyone relate? Get such a band across my head and pulsating temples from all this thinking!!

Gem.

Have you had any meds or cbt.really helped calm my mind.still races sometimes but not so bad.yes i sometimes handle really difficult things like my son having Chrons disease but go to pieces cos i touched wallpaper before a drinking cup.its ocd cant really fathom it.

Guest gks444

Thanks for your reply! I'm on 40mg fluoxetine and the same of propranalol. I think I just had a difficult day yesterday and it had a knock on effect on everything else. I have had CBT before but I'm not sure it was utilised to deal with the right thing so I'm hoping to have it again. But you know what it's like; it's a waiting game to get anywhere! And that's true I guess it's not expected to make sense because of the nature of what it is! I haven't got a diagnosis but I relate to an awful lot that is said on here and with any anxiety disorder I guess the solutions are similar, reattribute your thinking and move forward. Been to the gym on my own this morning so that's a big step for me. Hope you are well.

Gem.

I so relate to this, and in fact was just thinking the very same this morning. Why, of why, is my WORST fear, the one that keeps me up at night, the one that had led me to the brink of what I consider to be 2 near breakdowns, something that other people don't even really care much about? My worst fear is making mistakes at work, but even if I did, nobody will die, I'm not a surgeon or an airline pilot. The worst that would happen would be that I get told off. If anyone else makes a mistake, I'm totally unconcerned, I simply calmly deal with rectifying the mistake. But if the mistake is mine, I go into absolute meltdown. Of all the awful things that I could fear, and the one that continues to ruin what is otherwise a very happy life is getting told off! I mean really, how ridiculous is that. Where is the perspective??

I can definitely relate. Its so frustrating how the simplest thing, even when we know in our head that its not something to worry about, still sticks around and causes us to worry. I'm not normally one to worry about my health but anytime I start to feel sick my OCD part of my head always assumes the worst! Its crazy, even if I know its just a cold suddenly i'm worried about brain tumors and cancer and ebola etc. All the while trying to tell myself "dude its just a sneeze". Ugh! You are definitely not alone in feeling the way you do!

Guest gks444

Franklin12, what's your line of work? I really relate to making mistakes at work. Like the things I scrutinise over I don't think crosses other people's minds. I work as a nurse so obviously any mistakes can potentially be dangerous and that's what I tell myself. When other people have problems I see it in a completely different light too! You think my dad being ill or the work I do would completely put my life in perspective but it does. Drives me insane! My head has been so tense for last couple of days.

Dksea how often would you say you get sick with it? I've had a few breakdowns since I was 16 but between times I just feel it builds up between times. I don't notice something is getting wrong until it hits me like a ton of bricks. Thanks for your response :)

Gem.