Complete Obsession - Body Dismorphia

Guest FlyingEagle

Guest FlyingEagle

Just noticed this up via iPlayer and thought it should belong in this section of the forum in case it can help anyone.

http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/complete-obsession-body-dismorphia-series-01-episode-01/12go3xi0g

Complete Obsession - Body Dismorphia: Feature Episode

What happens when a completely healthy person want their leg amputated? For six months, Horizon follows two people with a rare psychiatric disorder - body dysmorphia. They believe they will only feel complete if a particular, but perfectly healthy part of their body is removed. When surgery is refused, it is documented that some go to horrifying lengths to remove their own limbs or even attempt suicide. This documentary explores the disorder and the dilemma facing the doctors and surgeons who carry out amputations against a background of debate within the medical profession.

Yes it is a very serious condition and so horrifying suffering from it I have to say,living with it is just pure hell without going on and on that is how bad it gets or can get when one is refused surgery.

• 1 year later...

Don't know if that can be considered as BDD Surgeons wouldn't usually no doubt amputate someone's limb for e.g unless it had to be&if they thought it was BDD for e.g I doubt at all they would amputate as that is very serious of course.Very likely they could not like their leg for e.g or Body part for some reason asscociated with BDD but in terms of being amputated very likely it must've been necessary I'm sure or there's more to this than meets the eye.