Possible OCD? Not quite sure.

Guest Ben-H1

Guest Ben-H1

Hello,

So I've been doing this for a while, but recently it's gotten a bit worse. Pretty much all the time I feel the need to do things a certain number of times, maybe twice, four times, or even 16 times in some cases (I think of doing it four times four times (4 x 4 = 16)). It could be anything. Something I say, I will sometimes say it once to someone, and then make certain sounds very quietly by myself such as 't' sounds. I might accidentally brush past something, such as the door frame, and I feel the need to repeat the same action multiple times. Even accidentally bumping the arm of my chair into my desk, I have to bump each arm a certain number of times making sure that it's always the left one then right one and then left one and so on until it feels right. Recently I have even found myself playing games and having to click a certain number of times. It is really starting to annoy me but I can't help doing it or I just don't feel right. I was watching a film a couple of nights ago and when I pressed play I found myself having to press the button over and over again, making sure to point it away from the TV. I tried putting it down after pressing play, but I actually had to pick the remote back up to press the button a few more times.

Another thing which has been happening recently which has been getting a lot worse, is a certain person or anything that belongs to that person (whom I shall not name for their privacy), cannot touch me or anything of mine. For example, I found my school blazer on top of their coat and I started to panic. When that person uses my iPad, I start to panic because I think that it is covered in their germs. I think probably the reason for all of this is I always see them doing disgusting habits (or at least I find them disgusting), such as picking their skin (and leaving it everywhere (I'm not kidding once I literally found a load of it on my iPad after they had used it)), licking the tips of their fingers for no reason, or coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth at all or the way that I do it (which is into my elbow (I find it to be more hygienic as you're less likely to go around touching things with the inside of your elbow)). I get really stressed about it and I have to tell them not to touch anything (but they think they're being funny by doing it anyway) and I start to get really stressed.

It would be nice if someone could tell me whether this could be OCD or not. I think it could be after looking online for a bit, but it would be good to get someone a little more experienced than myself to tell me whether I could have it or not.

Thanks!

Hello Ben,

I am sorry you are struggling with this, and I can relate to much of what you describe to be similar my own OCD in I did not like my dad touching certain things of mine. Although we are not trained ourselves to be able to diagnose, from what you describe it really does very much sound like OCD.

But the key is once you know, and lets assume it is OCD, is what you do next. OCD sadly can sometimes get much worse so it is important not to make the same mistake that I did and 'pretend' it was not there for ten years. You must speak to someone about it. Do you feel able to talk to a parent or a GP?

The good news is OCD really can be challenged and beaten. I wont pretend it is easy, but it certainly is possible.

Good luck with it.

Ashley :)

Guest Ben-H1

Oh, it has definitely been getting worse over the past couple of days. Fortunately, that person is going back to where they live in a couple of days, so I should be able to relax, but until then, I will have to see what happens. Thanks for the reply though, I will try to go and see my GP at some point.