Hi Guys

I haven't posted on here in a while. I have been doing really well the last six months, so much so that I occasionally still get the thoughts that originally caused me so much anxiety and I barely register their existence. I think this is a combination of implementing the 'four steps', I am now so quick at it that the whole process of having a thought, applying the four steps and moving on from it is done within about 30 seconds, also the initial groundwork I put in with my therapist and learning about OCD, improving my diet drastically and taking part in regular exercise. Now if I have a stressful day I look forward to going to the gym or boxing classes and it gives me purpose.

I have been living with my parents for the last year while my fiance has been abroad working. Although I had my worst OCD episode and breakdown during this last year while with my parents, I now also am in the best place mentally and physically I have ever been in. My fiance and I lived together for a total of two years before this year away. Today he is moving back to Scotland and we are both moving to Edinburgh (right now I am in Glasgow). We are going to have our own flat and obviously I'm very excited about living with him again. However, I have settled into a really comfortable routine whilst at my parents, my sister and I usually go to the gym together evenings or weekends, I get on well with my family and always have a laugh with them, I either visit my fiance or see the same friends at the weekend. I am nervous that all this change upsets the balance and great mental state I've worked so hard to get. For example, eating well has really improved my overall mood and I am very healthy now but my fiance isn't. Also I love going to the gym but may feel bad about leaving my fiance in the flat and going out by myself. I don't know as many people in Edinburgh and it's a whole different set of friends so that will be a big change. My OCD in the past has been entirely centered around false memories, extreme guilt, reassurance seeking etc in regards to my relationship with my fiance. What if the sudden change of everything and being around the main trigger of my OCD so much again causes a relapse? I like to think I am in a much stronger position to tackle any problems that may arise, nut you just never know....

Any advice would be appreciated!

Guest doris

Nice to hear you are doing so well and that you are in such a good place right now!

Sounds like you've really put a lot of positive things in place--good for you! :)

I can see how you might be a little worried about what some big life changes will do for your recovery. I think you are wise to keep in mind what change and stress (even the good stress) can do to aggravate ocd. having said that, I wouldn't dwell too much on it. You know what has helped you in recovery--exercise, good diet, and using the 4 steps, as well as positive interaction with people you love. So I would just keep all this in mind as you transition into your new life. Stay committed to what has gotten you well. Maybe you'll even have a good influence on your fiancé's eating habits! Know that you might feel a little bad going to the gym and leaving your fiancé at home, but do it anyhow--if it's good for you it will also be good for your relationship!

If you do find yourself slipping into old ocd habits you sound like you know what to do--apply the 4 steps, come to the forum for some extra support, go to the gym or exercise class to relieve some stress...

I am happy for you that you've found how to make the tools work for you--it's an inspiration! I hope your transition to your new life goes well! :)

What if the sudden change of everything and being around the main trigger of my OCD so much again causes a relapse? I like to think I am in a much stronger position to tackle any problems that may arise, nut you just never know....

It could Sim, but equally you could stay where you are and the OCD could be triggered by something there too! Like you say, you are in a much stronger position now to spot and deal with the OCD, so go for it, enjoy the excitement of the move (OCD be damned).

If you need a little extra support, or simply want to meet some new people who understand why not go along to Kirstie's new OCD Support group in Edinburgh which meets once a month at the Jury's Inn. :)

Good luck with it all.

Ashley.

Thank you Doris and Ashley for your replies, I havent had a chance to reply since it took me two days just to build a wardrobe :p

Doris I will stick to what has been working for me and just accept that exercising etc is benefiting not just me but my fiance too!

Ashley, the support group sounds like a great idea, I will definitely look into it.

Thanks again.

Guest OCD_Est.1982

Can I ask what the 4 steps are? I've not heard about them before and it may be a technique I could try.