Why compulsions are hard to stop

Guest Himmel

Guest Himmel

Hi

I find it hard to stop my compulsions because the bad thoughts are firing at me and making me feel there is a Real thread. It is very hard not to listen. So just letting the feeling that you risk bad things and all the sorrow be is the most difficult part. Its like walking through a Wood where no danger is actually present and deep down you know that but the sounds, shadows and your imagination freaks you out and you end up in panic runing, hurtig yourself on branches and thorns. When all you could have done was to walk Nice and easy and have enjoyed the Big Dark Wood.

I must really push myself today to do exposures and stop believing in the thread. I am not risking anything. I Can stop compulsions. So that is my goal the rest of the day.

It still amazes me that one day you dont believe and you know that stopping compulsions is the crue and the next you are fooled and all your experiences and learned skills are flushed to the toilet.

They are hard to stop because they are "Compelling" the clue's in the word :D

Seriously, it's something we all fail at...we just have to keep honing the skill. Good Luck today, wishing you success. Let us know how you go on......and remember, when you fight back it bites back. Be prepared. (Note to self to heed my own advice)

Compulsions are hard to stop. Every time you do one you make it more likely that you'll have to do it again in the future. Performing compulsions causes you to want to do compulsions again. It's not easy to break that cycle. You have to teach yourself that it's okay to not perform compulsions.