Struggling after a positive weekend.....

Guest Whizz4848

Guest Whizz4848

Hi all well I had a positive weekend. Managing my OCD with positive thinking, mindfulness etc. I felt like myself saw friends and my anxiety and pure o slipped into the background. It was lovely. Unfortunately I've possibly done to much and aggravated my CFS as yesterday was spent exhausted on the sofa almost sick with tiredness. I think this has triggered my anxiety massively. Last night was horrendous I got to bed kind of looking to retreat and my thoughts were like a firework display. Not even intrusive and dark just random firing off all over the place. It was so bizarre and unsettling that I've barely slept more than an hour and feel scared and weak today. I'm meant to be starting back to work Monday but think I can't face it and need more time off. I just feel scared and disheartened as 48 hrs ago I was feeling like me again. I just wondered if anyone. Has any ideas or words they could offer as I'm struggling ? Also has anyone tried setraline if so is it helpful ? Thanks

You appear to be facing a setback, common when recovering from OCD. It is trying to worm it's way back in, because it's something you understand, and that way of thinking is a force of habit. Persist with your techniques, don't get disheartened, it takes time and practice. I am in a similar position, I'm having good and bad days alternately, but you learn from them.

Guest Gale1982

Hey Whizz,

I can't imagine what CFS must be like with OCD. Exhaustion plays havoc with anxiety. Like you, I tend to over do things. I particularly relate to your analogy of thoughts being like a firework display. Sometimes, when I close my eye's, I can actually see strangers faces in as much detail as if they were right on front of me....always in black and white though, its just plain freaky.

I think you nailed it when you said you're exhausted. Try and rest as much as you can and like Imhotep says, just crack on like you have been with techniques. You've got plenty of time to get this under control, you'll get there, just like you did last weekend :)

Guest Whizz4848

Hey thanks both of you that was really encouraging. Yeah I know its just hard when you get a glimpse of the blue sky of"normality" only to be back under a dark cloud of anxiety and OCD again so soon. Its kind of like a whirlwind, in itself its exhausting. I think you are both right though its both a setback and also I need to do less. Its so hard when you've had a busy full life to see bits of it fall away, its made me realise that I take way too much stuff for granted. But hey maybe a quieter, calmer doing less me is whats needed and is still me, but just a slower version that will look after myself better.

You guys have any tips of hints on things you do to help yourselves ?

Guest Gale1982

Take one day at a time.

Everyone's different so we all have different ways of coping with anxiety, exercise, diet etc... I think the most important thing, however, is to be patient and go easy on yourself.