hi, if anyone has seen any of my previous posts they'll know I have harm ocd. I feel I'm getting better at letting the thoughts be there and I'm also much better at not ruminating and not reassurance seeking.

However, something I can't seem to ignore are the impulses and urges that come with the thoughts. I often feel like I am going to lash out which really frightens me, it's almost like I'm having to stop myself if that makes sense. I know it's part of OCD but I know it may sound ridiculous but I think what scares me is that I won't be able to resist them. I've never done anything violent so I don't know what it feels like before you do, so that frightens me, in case it is the feeling you get before you are about to do something horrible.

Basically, I'm just after a bit of advice on how to treat the urges if anyone has any ideas, thank you.

Hey Carlleo, i as well suffer with harm OCD and i know exactly what you mean about the impulses and urges. They were and i'd say for most people are the scariest thing about harm ocd.

You have to treat the urges, however real or strong they feel, just treat them how you treat the thoughts - give them no importance at all. I was beside myself over them and like you said i literally felt like i hadd to hold myself back from doing something terrible to someone, but they are harmless and temporary. Just brush them off, label as OCD and dont avoid anything, they will pass just like the thoughts will.

I have amongst every other type of ocd (switches all the time, contamination, relationship, horrid sexual thoughts) harm ocd. Share your pain completely. All I want to be is a decent person and be able to love and spend quality time with my family but the fear of causing harm keeps me as far away as I can be in case I act. If you do find a way to treat the urges that's successful please share with me I'd love to know. Well done on reducing the ruminating. Take care

There us no way to directly treat the urged. You can't force them to go away. What you can do, as is the case for all forms of OCD, is to resist and stop compulsions associated with the urges.

Over time this has the effect of reducing the importance around the urges. The urges will, over time, have less of an impact on you.

Edited by PolarBear

Thank you for the replies, I will do my best to ignore them, I quite often wonder if many of the urges are me wanting to perform compulsions to take the anxiety down,I have engaged in too many testing behaviours in the past, silly really

I've had harm thoughts for over 2 years now and they are tailing off slowly. A few things I've found that help are

Stimulants - caffeine, alcohol, drugs, nicotine - avoid them!

Sugar - reduce it, and try not to have refined sugars

Sleep - Sleep when you're tired, not when your friends or family let you. You need to put yourself first.

Loneliness- avoid it, it's the devil's playground!

Graphic content- watch some for an exposure, but too much will make your mind go into overdrive!

Stress- don't bite off more than you can chew. More pressure means more anxiety, more anxiety means more thoughts!

Mediation/Mindfulness Awareness - really useful! I meditate a lot when I'm stressed!

Diet- Sorry, but the beter you eat, the better you feel!

Bach's flower remedies- No idea why, but they're the best thing I've found so far!

I also say to myself "I've thought this before and nothing happened". It helps to remind you that this is just OCD, and you need to handle it as it. It does get easier!

Good luck!

FoosBoo88 x

They began about 4 months before my wedding. Alcohol is a big one for me, that made them horrendous! Not sure about nicotine as I've never smoked, but my father-in-law does and he gets terrible anxiety, too. I've also since gone decaf and that's definitely helped! Try it and see! :)

FoosBoo88 x