NHS Treatment

Guest Esm

Haven't posted on here for a while, but I just wanted somewhere to vent my frustration about the struggle to actually get any treatment. I'm yet again on another waiting list, having been turned away from my local CMHT because they've new guidelines on who they will and won't help and apparently because I'm able to get up, get dressed and generally look after myself, I'm no longer suitable to be seen by them and after my assessment was told to refer myself to the IAPT team. It's coming on for two months since I referred myself, and they seem to have no idea of when I can expect to be seen, as there are only 2 CBT therapists covering the whole of my area apparently.

I'm so frustrated. I've had BDD and OCD for as long as I can remember and was diagnosed with both over 10 years ago, and since then I've just had years under the CMHT who just saw me every 6 months and did nothing, and one course of CBT that I had to wait a year and a half for, with an awful CBT therapist. I've no quality of life, I struggle to go out. Luckily my mother lives fairly close to me and I rely on her do things like picking up medication for me, posting letters, taking me to doctors appointments (when I can manage to go) however next year she is moving a good few hours away, and then I will be totally stuck. I'm not sure how I'm going to survive with no help from anywhere. I don't feel very positive about the CBT I will receive from the IAPT team when the appointment finally comes through, and am worried what will happen if I don't make any progress with CBT through them. I'm not really sure what my options are anymore.

Hi Esm.Oh how I wish that the treatment for BDD was so much better.They say with the correct treatment it is curable.Unfortunately the "correct" treatment never seems to be offered.I know how you must be feeling.This is one of the worst nightmares anyone has to face and it is simply so unfair.It's people like us I suppose who will need to change things and we can only do that by constantly complaining and telling them how bad we feel so that we leave them with no doubt.To be honest I must admit that I'm not very good at that.It seems to be in my nature to try to please and not make a fuss and I suppose that if most sufferers are like me that is why treatment is so poor.They say that 1% have it(although I doubt that) but just look how few people post anything on this part of the forum.It strikes me that very little is even understood about it.I hope you get some treatment very soon and that it helps this time.Never give up trying.