Sensorimotor obsessions

Guest lauren415

Guest lauren415

Ugh so I just started paying attention to everytime I swallow. How do I stop? I was having this problem with my breathing for a few days a couple weeks ago but it just sort of went away. My throat feels so dry too and I just keep drinking water, but I'm going to bed soon so I don't want to have to pee all night. I've been trying to just sit with the anxiety but even when I'm not anxious I'm just annoyed. Hopefully this will just go away on its own as I've never really had this particular obsession before.

Guest doris

Hopefully this will just go away on its own as I've never really had this particular obsession before.

yes it probably will go away on its own--same as your breathing one. just try to get a good nights sleep--fatigue can make things worse.

(i used to get body ones from time to time and i know they can be aggravating! )

Guest lauren415

Thanks Doris. Yeah I've been pretty tired lately (mentally exhausted too) so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm going to work today so hopefully that will take my mind off things.

Guest lauren415

Anyone else have suggestions? Should I try not to swallow for a while or should I pay extra attention to the swallowing. It's kind of annoying cuz it's something I can't escape it's just a natural thing my body does. I don't know what is driving this fear/anxiety about swallowing. I don't know if the swallowing is a compulsion or an obsession.

Swallowing sounds like your obsession, all the concentration you are giving it and the rumination is the compulsion. Don't stop swallowing for a while and don't pay extra attention either.

When you become aware of the swallowing distract yourself and get on with your day. Don't spend time thinking about it, don't give it importance at all.

Guest lauren415

Thanks Gemma. Yeah I've been at work today so I've basically been forced to not think about it but when we're not busy I focus on it again. I'm hoping this is only temporary.

Sounds like the driving fear is always focusing on it. It's my main OCD theme. The key to addressing this fear is to allow it to be there but don't analyze it, and get along with your day. Realize you can live well with or without it there. After time, you will get confidence in managing the OCD. Confidence crushes fear. It's all the same OCD in different manifestations. Lastly don't focus on setbacks. They're part of the process. Good luck!

Guest lauren415

So I've been doing better today with not questioning or analyzing my swallowing. I don't have as much anxiety about it. The only problem now is I feel like if I don't swallow for a long period of time I am going to choke, and my throat gets really dry. Should I try and do an exposure and purposely not swallow for a while until the anxiety lessens? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing...swallowing consciously but not giving it any attention or response?

I've had obsessions very much like this before - it can be its own very special kind of torture so I know what you're going through!

The way I've got over it is by developing what I like to call the 'meh' response.

"Maybe I'll never be able to stop thinking about this, maybe I will... meh, who cares either way." You won't feel it at first (of course) but this is the kind of attitude you should try to develop.

Don't try to focus on it, don't try not to focus on it, just register it, shrug your shoulders and say 'meh' and get on with whatever you're doing.

Another way of thinking about it is like you're driving a bus full of really annoying people.... the best way to deal with it isn't to focus on them, but it isn't to actively try and ignore them either. You just accept their annoyances and focus on the road. They're annoying, they're not going anywhere. Meh. This is the same principle.

I think of my brain as like a very suggestible pet that I'm training - if I train it to see something as VERY IMPORTANT then it will respond to that, whereas if I train it to not care either way, eventually it will respond to that instead.

Hope that makes sense!! x

Guest lauren415

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you so much. I'll keep working on it. Maybe if I think "meh" it will even become funny to me, lol. Thanks so much *hugs*

That is a perfect description gingerbreadgirl. Exactly right. Lauren, don't bother with extending between swallows unless your fear is choking. It sounds to me like analyzing/ruminating. :>)... trying to solve something that cannot be solved. Good job today!

I've had obsessions very much like this before - it can be its own very special kind of torture so I know what you're going through!

The way I've got over it is by developing what I like to call the 'meh' response.

"Maybe I'll never be able to stop thinking about this, maybe I will... meh, who cares either way." You won't feel it at first (of course) but this is the kind of attitude you should try to develop.

Don't try to focus on it, don't try not to focus on it, just register it, shrug your shoulders and say 'meh' and get on with whatever you're doing.

Another way of thinking about it is like you're driving a bus full of really annoying people.... the best way to deal with it isn't to focus on them, but it isn't to actively try and ignore them either. You just accept their annoyances and focus on the road. They're annoying, they're not going anywhere. Meh. This is the same principle.

I think of my brain as like a very suggestible pet that I'm training - if I train it to see something as VERY IMPORTANT then it will respond to that, whereas if I train it to not care either way, eventually it will respond to that instead.

Hope that makes sense!! x

????????????????????????

Guest lauren415

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I hope I didn't trigger anyone. I did a little better today with it. Hopefully it will get better from here on out :)

Swallowing sounds like your obsession, all the concentration you are giving it and the rumination is the compulsion. Don't stop swallowing for a while and don't pay extra attention either.

When you become aware of the swallowing distract yourself and get on with your day. Don't spend time thinking about it, don't give it importance at all.

I think this is the key thing. I experienced an inkling of this last time I went fishing.

With a lull in activity and plenty of time to think, I became very aware of my breathing and my heartbeat - I started to think my blood pressure must be up, that fuelled more worry - I nearly started counting my heartbeat per minute.

But I pulled myself together. I remembered to get busy plus refocus away - and it started my recovery.

Guest lauren415

I think this is the key thing. I experienced an inkling of this last time I went fishing.

With a lull in activity and plenty of time to think, I became very aware of my breathing and my heartbeat - I started to think my blood pressure must be up, that fuelled more worry - I nearly started counting my heartbeat per minute.

But I pulled myself together. I remembered to get busy plus refocus away - and it started my recovery.

It's comforting knowing other people have gone through something similar. Thanks for the reply Roy!

Guest lauren415

So I didn't have as good of a day today and so I stupidly googled "swallowing OCD" and the first article I read said that those with this type of OCD should purposely focus on it until your anxiety lessens. The thing is I don't want to train my brain to see this as important. So should I do what the article suggests or keep doing what I'm doing, which is not trying to focus on it, but not trying to NOT focus on it either. And then if I become TOO conscious of it I try to distract myself. Thanks so much for all your help everyone I truly appreciate it :)

Carry on doing what you are doing lauren. The internet suggestion is an ERP style, but I feel - like you - that with this type of problem it may be better to break the obsessional focus.

But do try and curb the compulsion to research and check test or whatever - it will confuse, and make things likely worse.

Edited by taurean

Carry on doing what you are doing lauren. The internet suggestion is an ERP style, but I feel - like you - that with this type of problem it may be better to break the obsessional focus.

But do try and curb the compulsion to research and check test or whatever - it will confuse, and make things likely worse.

I have to disagree taurean I think there is a fine line between distraction and avoidance and ERP would be the best and fastest way to break the obsessional focus. I also think that what Lauren found was what a therapist would advise to overcome this particular issue.

Guest lauren415

Well maybe I can set aside a separate time for ERP...and then go about my day not paying extra focus on it but still acknowledging it?