Is this explainable ? Please read !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a big problem, I almost destroyed all my ocd thoughts but there is something still remaining.

When I open a page text, either a book or internet page, or I look in a news paper, I always look first time (or almost always) to a trigger word that I fear, how is this explainable ?

Does anyone know if the human eye can perceive words even if they dont focus on them, I mean somehow my brain seems to recognize words from big distance from the focus point and I suddendly find myself looking at them and I consider it a bad omen.

But I am trying to explain it scientifically, is there any explanaition to looking to certain words even if the eye is not focused on those words ?

You don't need to explain it scientifically. You don't need to explain it at all. Trying to figure it out will only delay your overcoming OCD.

It is what it is.

What you do about it is nothing. Don't analyze it. Don't over think it. Don't try to figure it out. Leave it alone and move on.

Edited by PolarBear
Guest lizinlondon

Your brain is scanning for what you fear most. It is like hypervigilance. My brain does it too.but for signs of contamination. I can walk in a room and all the potential contaminates scream at me, without me even thinking.

I can understand your frustration OCDLost, I'm the type of person too who likes to solve problems with logic and reason, many of us with OCD are. That's one of the reasons OCD worries can be so difficult for us, because this approach doesn't work when applied to them. It's easy to get sucked in to analyzing these worries to try and resolve them, 20+ years with OCD and I still fall into that trap, but it doesn't work.

You say that you have to analyze things, and it's understandable to feel that way, but we know that combating OCD requires a different approach, still logical but different. Sometimes confronting a problem head on works, but other times you need to approach it from a different angle. OCD is one of those problems.

If you haven't yet I highly recommend reading Brain Lock, it does a very good job of explaining why OCD affects us the way it does and why the approaches that you may think are "bs" are really actually logical and reasonable. There is a method behind it and I think it will help you a lot to learn about it!