Is it normal to get mental images from what if thoughts?

Did you mean memory like images of doing something in past which is actually false? Yes, it is normal for a Pure-O sufferer. Many people on here complained about it. It is called false memory.

Guest Kelpie

Like you have have an intrusive thought and you visualise the thought in your head? If that is what you mean then yes, I get that. I find the images harder than the thoughts generally.

Guest Tricia

Apparently, some people (with and without OCD) are better at visualization than others. I've always been able to see clear pictures in my mind and, unfortunately, that also includes details of intrusive thoughts, which makes them appear all the more real.

Lee Baer writes about this and does say certain medication appears to help those of us with vivid images accompanying the intrusive thoughts.

Guest Recoveryyy

Yes. I have horrible intrusive thoughts and along with that, comes horrible images. I think it's quite common, particularly in Harm OCD.

Guest HeadAboveWater

Apparently, some people (with and without OCD) are better at visualization than others. I've always been able to see clear pictures in my mind and, unfortunately, that also includes details of intrusive thoughts, which makes them appear all the more real.

Lee Baer writes about this and does say certain medication appears to help those of us with vivid images accompanying the intrusive thoughts.

I see very clear, disturbing images in my mind... they are usually accompanied with intrusive thoughts.

Is this what Stu meant?

Guest Stu.

Sorry what I meant was is it normal to visualise what if scenarios, as I get this all the time, its not real but I still visualise it.

Sorry what I meant was is it normal to visualise what if scenarios, as I get this all the time, its not real but I still visualise it.

Yes, and unfortunately it can be very frightening. It's possibly the worst part of the condition.

Guest stuckinmyhead

Is it also normal for these to develop into feeling totally real to the person? Like memory when it's actually not?

Guest Stu.

Is it also normal for these to develop into feeling totally real to the person? Like memory when it's actually not?

Yes your mind plays tricks on you, it seems to try to get you to believe this stuff is real, when actually its false memory.

Guest Himmel

Yes images, scenarios from intrusive thought seems very real. You Can see a whole details movie in your head and imagine things you never have experienced. Then it gets so Real and your fear it will be or is true.

My therapist told me that ocd uses some things from your Daily life and twist Them into the thoughts then it seems Real. Like a normal cry from a child in the street Can become a cry of a child being treated bad in your mind. Or other things.

Guest Stu.

Yes images, scenarios from intrusive thought seems very real. You Can see a whole details movie in your head and imagine things you never have experienced. Then it gets so Real and your fear it will be or is true.

My therapist told me that ocd uses some things from your Daily life and twist Them into the thoughts then it seems Real. Like a normal cry from a child in the street Can become a cry of a child being treated bad in your mind. Or other things.

Absolutely spot on!!, my mind does exactly this all the time!!

Absolutely spot on!!, my mind does exactly this all the time!!

Yes, me too. At my worst, I feared they might be premonitions. It's very reassuring to hear others have this too.

So like, my situation that is bothering me atm is making me believe I've done something bad

I was drying my daughter, saw her bits and felt this urge to just go and touch her genital lip with my finger tip and now I've convinced myself I did do it... Could it just be vivid thoughts? Like the thought was so real and it felt so real of me doing it that I now think I did it...