Intrusive thoughts - morals etc..??

Hi guys :)

I just have a few questions I've been pondering for a few weeks or so in relation to intrusive thoughts (particularly fears of being/becoming a pedophile).

Does anybody else who suffer with this type of OCD ever have doubts about their personal beliefs about whats right and wrong about all kinds of things? What I mean by this is, does anybody worry that their OCD causes them to feel unsure of what your personal morals are? Can you have days where you feel like you have doubts in your own beliefs, which you once felt 100% sure on? I'm sorry if this sounds a bit complicated. xD

Also, for those with POCD, does anybody else feel extremely worried if they see an image on TV for example of a baby/toddler in minimal clothing? (I even felt uncomfortable just typing that out :s ) I get very worried about what my reaction will be, and my mind immediately jumps into intrusive thought territory. :/ I guess my discomfort in these situations make me feel reassured in a way, but I would still rather not have them of course xD. I'm just curious if anybody else experiences this?

Thank you & best wishes,

Nicola :)

I'm not sure what to say about the first part but as for the second, you've simply been triggered. You see a baby/toddler on TV (trigger) which causes intrusive thoughts to appear. That's perfectly normal when you have OCD.

Guest OCDsufferer9

You are completely normal and this is nothing out of the ordinary. I have been coming here to seek reassurance but it wasn't helping. You see, when you're caught up in the cycle again, thinking and thinking, feeling anxious and sad, everything you think and feel looks like a massive threat and you can actually "know" and become convinced that you are a pedophile. I too suffer from POCD and I am afraid I am a pedophile. In fact, my last post was about how I felt like I wanted to be with children and how I felt like I wanted to act on it. In fact, I feel that the only reason I didn't is because this feeling didn't last because I felt I was close to doing it. But then again, was I? You see the conflict? I don't know what I feel or who I am anymore. It's all about doubts. The thing that always remained is the doubt and the urge to seek reassurance, the reason why I should treat this as OCD. And so should you. When you are relived of your anxiety you start seeing it from a whole new perspective.

Sounds like ocd to me.

My best advice is accept its ocd, distract yourself and realise its an imbalance in your brain.

Don't give it any focus and don't research etc.